Diabetes: Come what May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
How many of you heard in the news that Home Secretary Theresa May has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? It sounds like she had the classic weight loss, which often comes with uncontrolled diabetes.

I was intrigued to hear that for someone who quite obviously has a very erratic lifestyle and quite irregular meal times as Home Secretary, she is on a twice-daily insulin regime. I would presume that she is taking a mixed insulin, but would challenge her statement that it will not interfere with her work as Home Secretary.

http://www.nursinginpractice.com/article/diabetes-come-what-may

A thoughtful article by someone who clearly knows what they are talking about 🙂

One tiny bit of the article did not quite seam right. Fair enough eating when low one needs to eat or have a snack, but not when you are high unless I miss read it.

It is important for patients to check their blood sugars, and where very low (< 3.9mmol/l) or very high (16.7mmol/l) they must eat.

One tiny bit of the article did not quite seam right. Fair enough eating when low one needs to eat or have a snack, but not when you are high unless I miss read it.

No, you're right, well-spotted. Perhaps it's poor sentence contruction.

Someone has edited that, I'd guess.

But that's exactly what I thought about Theresa May. She must be bloody mad on 2 a day.

I was astonished that anyone newly diagnosed is still being put on twice daily mixed insulin! There are some real dinosaurs among the consultants out there.

I was astonished that anyone newly diagnosed is still being put on twice daily mixed insulin! There are some real dinosaurs among the consultants out there.

It seems some people think that the saving on injections is helpful, but that's surely a nonsense, given that they don't actually hurt! Also, obviously cheaper to be on mixes, but saving how much, really? Even if the mix is half the cost of MDI, the difficulties presented by mixes must impinge on control and quality of life, with possible greater chance of long-term consequences, I would have thought. I'm so thankful that I was put on MDI at diagnosis 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back