Diabetes cases in UK hit high of three million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Three million people in the UK have now been diagnosed with diabetes, says charity Diabetes UK, which warns this new high could create a huge burden on the NHS.

Most of these cases are Type 2 diabetes, caused by the UK's ageing population and rapidly rising numbers of overweight and obese people.

Another 850,000 people are thought to have undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes.

The total represents an increase of 132,000 over the previous year.

In 1996, the number of people diagnosed with both types of diabetes was 1.4 million; the latest figure is three million. Roughly 90% of these have Type 2 diabetes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21630812

132k in a year 😱 Hope at least some of them find their way here. The sidebar comment " Type 2 diabetes is treated with a healthy diet and increased physical activity" is perhaps a little misleading, suggesting this is the only treatment available or necessary, and therefore within everyone's capabilities.

A muppet from Diabetes UK was also on Daybreak this morning. Without stating that there are 2 types of Diabetes, she stated that diabetes can be prevented by taking more exercise!!
As a T1 whose condition was diagnosed whilst training for a 10k run, I found this quite insulting! How far would I need to run in order to prevent my pancreas from giving up??
Sorry but she really annoyed me and they're the ones who are supposed to know more than a lay person!😡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back