Diabetes can make you go deaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Here is another reason to keep your blood sugar levels under check ? diabetes can make you go deaf. Yes, diabetic hearing loss ? though not an often discussed topic ? is a reality. Dr Mihir Raut, diabetologist at LifeSpan clinics tells you about diabetic hearing loss.

What are the common types of hearing loss a diabetic is likely to suffer?

Sensorineural hearing loss is the most common type of hearing loss a diabetic may suffer from. This type of hearing loss occurs when the inner ear nerves become damaged and do not transmit signals to the brain. In a diabetic, if his/her blood sugar levels are very high for a prolonged period of time it can lead to nerve damage or neuropathy ? the main cause for hearing loss in type 2 diabetics. Due to this long-term hyperglycaemia the blood vessels that are a part of the inner ear fail to get enough blood or oxygen and evetually become damaged. This also damages the nerves within the ear. Read why monitoring your blood glucose levels is essential.

http://health.india.com/diseases-conditions/listen-up-diabetes-can-make-you-go-deaf-p114/

If that is the case why don't we also get our hearing tested?

Whilst I'd never heard of it, it does make sense (no pun intended). There are teeny tiny vessels in the delicate mechanism inside the ear, so why should it they be exempt from damage? Hearing seems to be the poor relation when it comes to healthcare.

What's going on here? The day after I was diagnosed as a T2, I asked a doctor about hearing loss in front of a group of medical students. I was told that it shouldn't really happen. Again, when I went for my Diabetes education, I asked a Diabetic nurse the same question and I was given the same answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back