Diabetes can DOUBLE your risk of stroke, so why aren?t patients told to cut their BP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Adrian Scott was driving on a dual carriageway at 70 miles per hour when he felt a sensation like an electric shock strike his left side.
?I managed to pull over using my right hand and leg to control the car,? recalls Adrian, 60, a broadcasting technology consultant from Alhampton, Somerset.
?But by the time I came to a stop, I?d lost all feeling in my left side. I immediately realised I had the symptoms of a stroke and called 999 on my mobile.?
Adrian, who is married with two grown up children, was rushed to hospital, where a scan confirmed he had suffered a haemorrhagic stroke, caused by a blood vessel bleeding in his brain.
This type of stroke is particularly dangerous ? a third of sufferers die within 30 days.
Adrian survived his stroke in June 2009, although he has been left with pins and needles and numbness on his entire left side, which cause stiffness and make him tire easily and slur his words.
However, he was alarmed when doctors explained what had probably triggered it ? type 2 diabetes, a condition he was diagnosed with just a year before, in 2008.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...old-cut-blood-pressure.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back