Diabetes burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIWWD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I have type 2 diabetes now for 5’years. Been a roller coaster good and bad. Currently my A1C is 6.9 looking to lower it to under 6. My cuurent levels are at 175-225. I take multi vitamins daily and vit d along with b12. I lost 10’lbs in the last 3 months but gained 2-3 back. I do get desires for Choclate at times but I try to avoid sugar and carbs. It’s hard when living with 2 kids and a wife who loves carbs and sugar. Lately I think im burnt out thinking about it and get tired for an hr on certain days where i need a nap. My wife yells at me and says it’s my fault because im not doing enough and im always making excuses. Listen I wish I didn’t need to take a 30 min or n hr nap at times trust me
But it helps me get thru the day and work efficiently. But it’s very frustrating that to hear this from my wife and we argue because if it. I told her please come to the dr with me ask the dr or educate urself and u will see it’s a tough not easy. Listen im also a hard working never strop type attitude individual. Does anyone have any advice with experience dealing with ur spouse who is not supportive. I take Ozempic shot once a week

Last edited:
Nice to meet you all !!!

Any advice ?

I have type 2 diabetes now for 5’years. Been a roller coaster good and bad. Currently my A1C is 6.9 looking to lower it to under 6. My cuurent levels are at 175-225. I take multi vitamins daily and vit d along with b12. I lost 10’lbs in the last 3 months but gained 2-3 back. I do get desires for Choclate at times but I try to avoid sugar and carbs. It’s hard when living with 2 kids and a wife who loves carbs and sugar. Lately I think im burnt out thinking about it and get tired for an hr on certain days where i need a nap. My wife yells at me and says it’s my fault because im not doing enough and im always making excuses. Listen I wish I didn’t need to take a 30 min or n hr nap at times trust me
But it helps me get thru the day and work efficiently. But it’s very frustrating that to hear this from my wife and we argue because if it. I told her please come to the dr with me ask the dr or educate urself and u will see it’s a tough not easy. Listen im also a hard working never strop type attitude individual. Does anyone have any advice with experience dealing with ur spouse who is not supportive. I take Ozempic shot once a week

Hi, sorry your wife’s not sympathetic. I find my daughter isn’t, has no idea how it feels. I’m lucky that my husband is on board but even he gets fed up. There is such a thing as diabetes depression. It’s not surprising with he restrictions on diet and having to test. I don’t inject, low carb diet and 1 Empagliflozin tablet. I’m a really good cook, love to cook and now why bother ‍♀️ No restaurants cater for low carb T2’s and nigh on impossible to eat how you need to.
Is your wife open to education? You just have to do what you need to do for you. Even if that means taking control of your own meal prep.
I’m currently having a holiday in Grenada, cuisine different from the UK, different foods. 1st time since being diagnosed and has been a NIGHTMARE! Too many carbs and shellfish! I’m lobster allergic Finally came to the idea that I need to see the menus as soon as I can to choose and so chef knows. Only taken a week to get things working to a fashion
If your wife isn’t on board and you can’t persuade her, you’ll have to self cater.

Welcome to the forum
Finding meals that are suitable for the whole family can take the burden off 'the cook' . Meals do not have to be tasteless and boring but may need a bit more planning. This link may help you with some meal ideas that would be suitable. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
You are quoting your reading s in mg/dl which can be converted to mmol/l by dividing by 18 as that is the more usual units used in the UK. When you convert it is indeed pretty high at the moment which could be contributing to your tiredness.
Testing the effect of your meals by testing before you eat and after 2 hours will indicate if the meal was too carb heavy if the increase was more than 2-3mmol/l.
To achieve a normal HbA1C the readings to aim at are 4-7mmol// before meals or fasting and no more than 8-8.5mmol/l 2 hours post meal.
I follow a low carb regime and usually find things I can have when eating out by avoiding chips, rice, and pasta and asking for extra veg or salad. It is more likely the portion size which is the problem rather than the food itself but I just leave what I don't want and unless you are eating out all the time then cut yourself a bit of slack and enjoy.

Welcome to the forum @TIWWD

Looks like you may be based in the US?

For the convenience of UK folks I’ll just translate your numbers to the units that are more usually used here.

HbA1C
6.9% = 52mmol/mol
6.0% = 42mmol/mol

BG levels
175mg/dl = 9.7mmol/L
225mg/dl = 12.5mmol/L

Diabetes can be really tough to work through. Managing diabetes can take a lot of extra brainspace, and can mean constantly being vigilant for your signs and symptoms, which takes a lot of effort.

Plus if your glucose levels are running a bit on the higher side you can get additional symptoms of low mood and tiredness - not only from the BGs themselves, but also because all the effort you are
putting in isn’t giving you the results you are hoping for :(

Good that you are ensuring you have sufficient vitamins, and getting rest when you need it. Are you taking any other medication alongside your Ozempic that might help your metabolism (eg Metformin)?

Do you thunk it would help to keep a food diary for a week or two (a brutally honest one)? Everything you eat and drink, alongside an estimate of its total carbohydrate content. This can really help you see where your ‘big hitters’ are in terms of meals which are mor likely to be keeping your BG above your target range, and also where carbs and sugars might be unexpectedly lurking.

Good luck and let us know how you get on 🙂

Welcome to the forum @TIWWD

Looks like you may be based in the US?

For the convenience of UK folks I’ll just translate your numbers to the units that are more usually used here.

HbA1C
6.9% = 52mmol/mol
6.0% = 42mmol/mol

BG levels
175mg/dl = 9.7mmol/L
225mg/dl = 12.5mmol/L

Diabetes can be really tough to work through. Managing diabetes can take a lot of extra brainspace, and can mean constantly being vigilant for your signs and symptoms, which takes a lot of effort.

Plus if your glucose levels are running a bit on the higher side you can get additional symptoms of low mood and tiredness - not only from the BGs themselves, but also because all the effort you are
putting in isn’t giving you the results you are hoping for :(

Good that you are ensuring you have sufficient vitamins, and getting rest when you need it. Are you taking any other medication alongside your Ozempic that might help your metabolism (eg Metformin)?

Do you thunk it would help to keep a food diary for a week or two (a brutally honest one)? Everything you eat and drink, alongside an estimate of its total carbohydrate content. This can really help you see where your ‘big hitters’ are in terms of meals which are mor likely to be keeping your BG above your target range, and also where carbs and sugars might be unexpectedly lurking.

Good luck and let us know how you get on 🙂
No I’m not US based, usually UK, currently on holiday in Grenada

No I’m not US based, usually UK, currently on holiday in Grenada

Not you Angela - the OP used US style measurements and had a US IP address.

I’ve merged your threads together @TIWWD - to keep replies all in one place 🙂

Hi, sorry your wife’s not sympathetic. I find my daughter isn’t, has no idea how it feels. I’m lucky that my husband is on board but even he gets fed up. There is such a thing as diabetes depression. It’s not surprising with he restrictions on diet and having to test. I don’t inject, low carb diet and 1 Empagliflozin tablet. I’m a really good cook, love to cook and now why bother ‍♀️ No restaurants cater for low carb T2’s and nigh on impossible to eat how you need to.

I have to say, I rarely have a problem eating out, just find it limited. I ask for chips to be replaced by salads, or just leave things like bread aside (Or the wife and kids eat them.) The only place I wouldn't bother with are chains like Zizzi, but I don't like them. It was easier overseas in Spain and Italy, where the restaurants are far better than the UK's proliferation of ghastly chains.

I totally agree, though. since cooking everything from fresh ingredients we hardly eat out - it's not as good and it's actually quite easy to cook something tasty and nutritious from a handful of ingredients.

Well, as I’m the sole constant cook in my house I like to eat out, none of the family will oblige

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back