Diabetes breakthrough trialled in NI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A device which could revolutionise the lives of people with diabetes has been piloted by the South Eastern Trust - the first region in the world to use it.

The d-Nav Insulin Guidance Device was tested by more than 150 patients with both type one and type two diabetes at the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald over the past 18 months.

It is around the size of a mobile phone and allows users to easily regulate their own insulin, which doctors say is crucial in the battle to control an illness which presents a huge health problem in Northern Ireland, affecting some 80,000 people, and can lead to blindness or loss of limbs.

Dr Roy Harper described the d-Nav as being like a "doctor in your pocket".

He said: "It is really straight forward and simple and very clever in what it does. It is like having me with you all of the time because it looks for patterns in your blood sugars and then gives insulin.

http://www.u.tv/News/Diabetes-breakthrough-trialled-in-NI/6c27f3dc-1fa5-46e9-990f-b638ff9eca24

Eh? :confused: Surely this is just like an 'Expert' type meter that's been around for a few years now? And what's this business about:

"A normal test would just tell me I was 8.2, then I would have a prescription which was given to me when I was last at the hospital, possibly six months ago, telling me to take the same amount of insulin each day."

You what? Why not learn how to adjust your insulin i.e. carb count? Why does it cost £90 a month? :confused:

Eh ? from me also Northerner.

Ulster is NI, yes? Cos 2 years ago, both in our motorhomes on holiday in France by the side of the river Gironde, I met the mother of a NI DSN, who uses a Roche Combo insulin pump.

So yeah, they do have the 'Expert' !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back