Diabetes at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
How do you explain diabetes to your employer? Do your work colleagues know/understand diabetes, different types, how it affects you, hypos etc? And if so how and when did you explain it to them? Has anyone made a mistake at wdue to high/low blood sugars?

Quite a few people at my work are diabetic so it wasn't a problem, and even the first aiders are trained to treat hypos. The only thing that Ps me off is I'm not allowed to work on my own any more because my manager is dead scared I'll have a hypo...

I suppose I'm lucky in that I've been volunteering for the people who've just agreed to employ me since last November and I've had great support and encouragement from them all through this nightmare. In fact, one of the reasons I gave for volunteering in the first place was that I needed something positive in my life after the diagnosis. Also, there are at least three T2s and a T1 among the counsellors and the Board so it's a non-issue there.

All my colleagues know I'm diabetic, it's never really been an issue where work is concerned, it's part of my day to day life so they've got to understand by osmosis I guess. A few colleagues that I trust know how to treat a hypo etc.

I've got to say i don't like to draw too much attention to myself being diabetic. Those that know, know i am T1 but don't have a much of a clue or what to do if i hypo and thats if they are even aware!

I had a hypo at work where i totally can't remember any of a meeting that went on for about 2 hours, i was really really quiet (which is not like me not to speak up at all) and still no-one knew at the time. Someone commented the next day but even i said the next day asking me is a bit late really!
I also had a hypo more recently where i opened up a bottle of Lucozade (that was a clue lol) and i dropped it all over my computer ( I wrote on here that day) as everyone around me was oblivious.

I work for a huge employer and even when i asked for a Retinopathy appointment to be taken in works time they wouldn't have it and i had to take it as leave. I have learnt since then they are in fact wrong and i wouldn't now hesitate to reflect a little of the DDA back to them as i have since done a lot of research.

There is only one colleague who was on the ball with my diabetes but she recently transferred elsewhere. Got to say that no-one in my office really has any understanding. Many comment if i drink Lucozade and i find that uncomfortable if they don't know.

I have a very stressful and demanding job and i wouldn't want allowances made because I was diabetic. I work with others who i feel milk the system and i would hate to be thought of like that myself. I mean no offence to anyone or those that are genuinly ill off from work but there are a couple I work with who take the biscuit.

All in all i feel for me it goes back to that horrible thing of looking 'normal' (hate that phrase but i am not sure how else to describe it) but in effect having to manage the D day to day which people don't see or always understand.

Bernie xx 🙂

My colleagues know I'm diabetic, one of them is diabetic too so if I had a bad hypo at work I have a resident expert to treat it! 😉

Hi,

HR know i am a daibetic, and the team i work on, a few others know. Its no secert and i dont care who knows about it.
I have never needed help with hypos so thats no worry, but its always good for them to know that i might need to get something to eat and funny times, and understand the injections and stuff.

I think if people know more about diabetes even at low level the better. Before i got it like most people i thought it was only overweight people who dont look after themselves who where diabetics, its nice to be able to tell/show people it can happen to anybody.

x

Well, I work in a hospital. More specifically the one where I am treated. It's easy for me to pop out of the back door of my lab and hop over to the diabetes centre for a quick chat if I need one. I did have to be assesed by occupational health which I found rather ironic. In a hospital one rather does assume that the staff are all well and healthy! If things really do go Pete Tong they can shout for someone from A&E or whatever. I try not to test in the labs due to the risks of contamination either with reagents we use or the samples but it's not always possible. Histology and Microbiology are the ones where I don't test in the lab owing to the nasty stuff like Formulin (a formaldehyde derivative used to preserve tissues) and tissue being cut up. The trust that I work for makes the appropriate accomodations so nothing is too difficult to arrange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back