Diabetes at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey all,
Just looking for some support and advice really regarding something unpleasant that happened to me yesterday. I work part time as a waitress and yesterday had a ten hour shift. Towards the end of the shift, at around 9:30 pm (I was due to finish at 10pm) I had a hypo. I didn't realise that I was hypo at first for quite a while. We were working in a small team to serve people a set menu, the people were all attending a huge function and basically the job at this point of the night entailed trapsing back and forth to the kitchen and carrying plates of food out to customers. At one point I was carrying out two very heavy plates and got a little bit confused as to which table to take them too so I asked my team leader and she pointed to one and swore at me for not knowing. I apologise that I must mention that filthy language was used as I personally felt disgusted. I then had even more trouble carrying the plates and I wondered to myself - and forgive me if this sounds stupid - am i struggling because these plates are very hot and heavy or because I'm shaking anyway?. I then decided that it would be for the best to go and check my blood sugar, I could not see the team leader and so thought that as my team comprised of six people, it would be for the best to try and go and check quickly and then return. So I went to try and check my blood sugars and went into the toilets so that I could wash my hands before doing so. I was in the public toilets as there are no staff ones and I ended up being very shaky and almost falling over. At this point a very kind member of the public who just so happened to be in the toilets came over to me and asked if I was alright. I managed to tell her that I was diabetic and having a hypo. (I had checked at 2.1 and had a mini can of coke.) At this point my team leader came into the toilet and when she was washing her hands she asked me if I was alright, I said no not really, I'm just having a hypo and I'm diabetic etc.... and she said oh okay and walked out. I followed her out after a few minutes and went over to a member of the my team to ask where we were up to service wise. At this point I began to feel quite shakey and confused again so I told the other team member and she said go and re check yourself dont worry about everybody else so I thanked her and ehaded to the toilets again. Whilst I was there the head waitress came to see if I was okay and I explained to her about having the hypo and she said oh dont worry about it and was absolutely lovely. She told me to just finish working as by this point there was only about ten minutes of my shift left. Then my friend appeared and told me that the team leader had just been talking about how annoyed she was with me and had signed me out and sent my friend to tell me that I should just go home now immediately, I wasn't wanted in the building and had been signed out. I apologise my fellow diabetic pals for a long and confusing tale! And I ask you to kindly advise me on how I could of handled the situation better or what any of you think? I tried to find the team leader on my way out so that I could speak to her but she was nowhere to be found. Something I wasn't best pleased about as I really wanted to clear the air with her and explain my diabetic self.

Whoa! In my opinion you handled everything in precisely the way you should have! You couldn't possibly have done any more - you didn't want the hypo, but you couldn't possibly ignore it and did everything you could to try and make sure you could help when you felt capable. This is just sheer ignorance and terrible management. You weren't trying to shirk your duties, you were doing the best you could to get through to the end of what was a very long and difficult shift without mistakes.

Your employers have to make reasonable adjustments. There was nothing else you could do except collapse by ignoring it or spill food everywhere, then collapse. In addition to any legal resposibilities, this team leader also needs to learn a little humanity. Very sorry to hear of your experience, but you did absolutely nothing wrong.

I agree with Northerner Kitty they is only so much you can do and you did all you could and no more, the team leader in charge should be more compassionate it is not like you purposly made the hypo come on hun.When you next get the chance i would have a word and just explain to her the situation and that next time something like this was to occur you would expect abit more support.

Poor you kitty, its not fair you have to deal with a hypos as well a job comprising of hard work and (some) unsupportive people.

Its probably best she wasnt there to speak with. It is best to treat your hypo and put some space between you and what you will say when you address her I think. Some time out will calm the situation.

I would approach the staff member and and say to her that you hears some things about her not being satisfied with what happened in work today towards the ebd of your shift and you would like to discuss it. Ask her if she knows much or anything about diabetes and then try to elaborate on what a hypo does to you, especially at work and how it makes you feel. Let her know that its really important that you go and test and treat it yourself becuase if you dont, they will have to! (spook her a little!).

Let the dust settle today, give her the benefit of the doubt, she may be ignorant of diabetes through no particular reason has never known anyone with it, and then if she isnt reciprical to your good nature play hard ball. Bottom line, she cannot treat you like that....

Thank you very much everyone 🙂
It was a bad experience but to be perfectly honest with you looking back I am not surprised that I had a hypo at that point because I hadn't had a break since 3 o clock and that had lasted for 20 minutes. After that I'd had the chance to check my blood sugars once at half past 7. I know that the conditions seem bad and believe me they are really but putting it simply, I am in need of the income! I felt embarassed about the whole performance and I was genuinely worried of spilling food all over someone! Sausage and mash and onion gravy all over someones finest suit would of made their evening memorable for all of the wrong reasons I feel ! I think that the whole way it was handled was a shame, I don't expect them to help me out or whatever I just don't want to be sworn at as I find that upsetting and unacceptable. I just think it was a shame to have such a bad experience as the team leader that I usually work with is a young man and he is absolutely fantastic and takes ta friendly interest in my diabetes and is wonderfully supportive 🙂 Thanks again for all of your support 🙂 xxx

You handled that amazingly and could have done no more.

You absenced yourself to sort out your hypo...and that was absolutely right to do so.

You have the right to work, just like anyone else. As Northerner said, employers must make reasonable adjustments and that is the law!! Diabetes is covered under an act of parliament called the Disability Discrimination Act. Part of this act is that employers have an obligation to their employees. I know that people with diabetes dont consider themselves to be disabled, but this act ensures that you are able to work safely, with consideration of your condition.

My advice would be to always make sure that the supervisor you work with is aware and if that means a little bit of education from you then so be it, thats your responsibilty to make sure the relevant people are aware. There is so much ignorance out there. Hopefully that will ensure that these situations stop happening! Good luck. xx

Hi,
I also think you did absolutely the right thing. That's always been one of the worst situations for me - working with the public and trying to find time to keep your levels always on track without having to mention it to everyone around you all the time! Wish i was a writer or something, or worked from home and never had to be out 'doing stuff' with others sometimes. ALL THE THINGS THAT EVERYONE ELSE TAKES FOR GRANTED. O.K, I'll chill out now i've got that off my chest.

As everyone has said, you did nothing wrong. Supervisor just needs a common sense check- up that's all.🙂 Ask her to see the doctor as soon as possible!

You behaved perfectly and should feel very proud of yourself. You also need to make a complaint about this person as she is breaking the DDA and she needs to be told how to behave and give you support in these circumstances.🙂Bev

Sounds horrendous. Agree team leader needs to learn some humanity and a bit more abot diabetes. You did the best you could, and if you had carried on because of his insensitivty or intolerance there could have been a serious accident betond your control.

I hope you are feeling better, and remember, as others have pointed out, we have things like the DDA to protect us from the likes of Mr Congeniality (not).

Just want to say a massive thank you to you all for all of your support, I now feel that no matter what happens on my next shift my team is behind me (meaning you guys 🙂 ). We really do all have to stick together. I just want to work as hard as I possibly can to earn an honest wage and want to thank you for supporting me in this 🙂 If only we could all work for one big company eh?! 🙂 hehe x

We are all behind you 100 per cent kitty and will always help wherever we can hun xxx

Hi there, as mentioned before it was probably your team leaders ignorance that led her to behave in such a way. Would it be possible to split your 20 minute break so you didn't have to go so long without the possibility of eating or drinking something?

Depending on her character (although as a team leader it's in her best interest), can you perhaps offer her a leaflet to read....this way she has all the information about Hypos and so can act in a more professional manner if this situation arises again.

Hi Kitty

Having read this thread, I would completely agree you did everything spot on.

Lets hope some good comes of this and you can educate those you work with about diabetes, we move through life and some people need to have some things expleined to them, I hope they are open to this learning, which would make your life better and the team work better too, so everybody wins :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back