Diabetes apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I use MySugr app for recording my bs readings however only thing I'm not happy with is that unless you post so many entries in a 7 day period you don't get an estimated HbA1c. This to me is a bit unfair. Surely if I'm recording values every day even if it's only once a day that I test I should get an estimate.

Is there an app that does this without having to log so many in a certain period of time

Hi I use MySugr app for recording my bs readings however only thing I'm not happy with is that unless you post so many entries in a 7 day period you don't get an estimated HbA1c. This to me is a bit unfair. Surely if I'm recording values every day even if it's only once a day that I test I should get an estimate.

Is there an app that does this without having to log so many in a certain period of time
It could be that the algorithm it uses needs a lot more readings to predict an HbA1C as that is something which is using glucose levels 24/7 for 3 months not a few random readings.

This to me is a bit unfair. Surely if I'm recording values every day even if it's only once a day that I test I should get an estimate.
I presume they judge that with only one measurement a day any estimate wouldn't be worthwhile. (They may well have collected data to make that judgement. I'm sure if they could give a meaningful estimate in that situation they would.)

It could be that the algorithm it uses needs a lot more readings to predict an HbA1C as that is something which is using glucose levels 24/7 for 3 months not a few random readings.
Possibly although even if I logged 21 readings in 7 days no guarantee whether it would be close to my HbA1c from the lab.

I presume they judge that with only one measurement a day any estimate wouldn't be worthwhile. (They may well have collected data to make that judgement. I'm sure if they could give a meaningful estimate in that situation they would.)
For 7 days I would have to test 3 times a day. Sometimes I do sometimes I test once in the morning and before bed and sometimes just once in the morning on waking. Just have to wait until I have my HbA1c in 6months time. I know MySugr gives only an estimate although isn't that what the lab based HbA1c does unless I am wrong.

Possibly although even if I logged 21 readings in 7 days no guarantee whether it would be close to my HbA1c from the lab.
Even people using Libre the HbA1C estimate can be adrift from their HbA1C as that is still measuring something different.

No app is going to give a reliable estimate of hba1c with so few readings per day

Is there a reason you feel you need an estimated hba1c?

If you haven't used up your Libre 2 free trial that might give you a reasonable estimate of your HbA1c after the 2 weeks of wearing it. Not perfect, but much better than a few data points a day in mySugr will give you. I'm currently using one to gather data about my response to various meals, and using the data to create 'meal graphs'. Note - the LibreLink app does not generate these specific graphs, I had to take screenshots and use image editing software to add details, but it does allow all the data seen here to be gathered in one place. I'm delighted with all the info it's giving me.
Omelettes w yellow peppers handfull pistachios.png2 eggs lower carb toast small apple 32 min walk.pngChicken stir fry white rice 1.pngVeg soup ham sandwich lower carb bread 1.png

I am one of those who the Libre is estimation is out it is always lower by quite a few numbers.

I am one of those who the Libre is estimation is out it is always lower by quite a few numbers.
Recently, I have been wondering about the fact that some people "always" find Libre reports high and those who "always" find that it reports low.
We are obviously comparing the alibre reading with finger pricks and all meters need to comply with an accuracy and of +/-15%.
As we have been using our finger prick meters fir longer than Libre, we trust them. But, what if those of us who always find Libre low, actually have finger prick meters that are always report high?
It is possible that our finger prick meters are less accurate rather than the Libre sensor, especially if this is true for all sensors.

Recently, I have been wondering about the fact that some people "always" find Libre reports high and those who "always" find that it reports low.
We are obviously comparing the alibre reading with finger pricks and all meters need to comply with an accuracy and of +/-15%.
As we have been using our finger prick meters fir longer than Libre, we trust them. But, what if those of us who always find Libre low, actually have finger prick meters that are always report high?
It is possible that our finger prick meters are less accurate rather than the Libre sensor, especially if this is true for all sensors.
This thread is about estimations of hba1c though so whilst your point may be valid for the comparisons to fingerpricks it isn’t going to cause the libre hba1c estimate to be out

I am on about my Libre estimated HBAC1.

I am on about my Libre estimated HBAC1.
Apologies. My misunderstanding.
I have decide that, because Libre has no access to blood, the estimate is nothing more than an algorithm which might provide a rough guide.
I think of it as another useful metric we may want to track completely separately to HBA1C.

Libre consistently estimates 10 lower than the blood test for me. But, as someone treating my diabetes with insulin, my DSN would probably have hysterics about the number of hypos I MUST be having if the Libre estimate was correct 😎

I have decide that, because Libre has no access to blood, the estimate is nothing more than an algorithm which might provide a rough guide.
It is just a formula, the formula is available online on the libre website and in the libre help guide of the app

A1c% = (Avg SGmmol/L + 2.59)/1.59

I like Gluroo for the 24 hours TIR, 24 hour average BG and Hb1Ac average. Links to libre or you can manually add data

I know MySugr gives only an estimate although isn't that what the lab based HbA1c does unless I am wrong.
A lab based HbA1c is measuring something. (All measurements are estimates, I guess, but it's quite different to what MySugr or the Libre app does.)

The measurement procedure has been published (well, the reference method). Behind paywalls so not easily accessible to us, but judging by the abstract I wouldn't get anything from it anyway. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11916276/

It is just a formula, the formula is available online on the libre website and in the libre help guide of the app

A1c% = (Avg SGmmol/L + 2.59)/1.59

That’s what I was going to suggest too Lucy

There are a variety of formulae which were based on a ‘best fit’ of matched pairs of Average Glucose Results, and HbA1c results.

Interestingly the one I had written down uses very slightly differemt factors

HbA1c (in %) = (AvgBG+2.52)/1.583

I also have

GMI in mmol/mol = (AvgBg x 4.70587) + 12.71

(GMI is Dexcom’s Glucose Management Indicator, basically an emulation of HbA1c).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back