Diabetes app developed for smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
An app for smartphones automatically calculates the carbohydrate content of a meal. The program called “GoCARB” enables diabetics to better plan their meals and to control their blood glucose easier. Approximately 366 million people worldwide -- and counting -- are affected by diabetes mellitus. According to estimates by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), it shall be 500 million people worldwide by 2030.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/06/140604093541.htm

I likes the look of that!

It's Roche too, and most of their stuff is pretty bullet and idiot - proof, ie designed with me in mind!

Now that does look promising indeed. Unlike the meal in the photo. 😱

Now that does look promising indeed. Unlike the meal in the photo. 😱

Thught the same about the meal, the app does look promising, and worth a try out when its released, could not find it on google when just having a quick search.

Thught the same about the meal, the app does look promising, and worth a try out when its released, could not find it on google when just having a quick search.

Article mentions it's still a prototype, so not yet unleashed 🙂 I'll keep my eyes on the press for further details. Not that I could use it, not having a smartphone! 🙄

Ooh sparkly, that looks easier than carbs and cals (I have a list of feedback for them about how that's organised). I agree that the meal looks dire though!

Article mentions it's still a prototype, so not yet unleashed 🙂 I'll keep my eyes on the press for further details. Not that I could use it, not having a smartphone! 🙄

Maybe it's time to drag you kicking and screaming into the 20th Century then? :D

No, not very tasty-looking. Wotz the orange thing? Looks like the cat ate a bag of cheesy Wotsits then threw it all up. Like the idea of the application tho. Perhaps I will end up with a smart phone eventually.🙄

Can't see how it can tell the carbs in say - Gravy/Sauces, processed food. Fine for the likes of potatoes/carrots, fruit etc.

Well - we don't know what it can and can't do - we can decide once it's released into the wild can't we?

If the meals are like the Carbs & Cals book, it would be not much use to me except on the odd occasion when you are out and just have to grab whatever's handy if you want to eat at all. (Like if you get held up at a hospital appointment and are condemned to eat in their caff LOL - many variations of carbs with carbs; with carbs on the side usually)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back