Diabetes and working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bat5

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m fairly new to all of this and as a type 1 I‘m doing ok by my own standards. At the end of each day in my head I’m congratulating myself for surviving another day, sometimes comfortably and some days are just damn difficult. I have a job which is really active and I’m often burning BG quickly due to the demands. It got me thinking how does everybody else cope who are seasoned type 1’s with demanding jobs.
Any stories, advice or tips would be interesting to hear about.
Thanks

We trained our diabetes to fit in with our lifestyle. Or at least, I did. Took me a decade or two but Rome wasn't built in a day.

I’m fairly new to all of this and as a type 1 I‘m doing ok by my own standards. At the end of each day in my head I’m congratulating myself for surviving another day, sometimes comfortably and some days are just damn difficult. I have a job which is really active and I’m often burning BG quickly due to the demands. It got me thinking how does everybody else cope who are seasoned type 1’s with demanding jobs.
Any stories, advice or tips would be interesting to hear about.
Thanks
Hi,

When you say demanding job, I take it you mean physically demanding?

I'd imagine the greatest challenge trying to manage type 1 diabetes is the 5 days (I assume) on and 2 days off is that physical work is notorious for effecting basal needs due to increased sensitivity. This will likely mean a reduced basal need on the days not working if resting in between physical days.

I'd also assume one who does lots of physical activity requires less basal overall and less bolus for meals, if in fact any bolus is required for some meals.

I use tresiba for basal which is active for 48hrs, so no room for adjustment, I'd have to eat through physical activity and snack before sleep to do this. I'd assume daily basal, split basal or pump would be better suited to those doing regular physical activities.

Hi @Bat5 I reduce my basal and/or snack (without a bolus). Looking back, you were on Semglee? If you had a twice-daily insulin eg Levemir, you’d be able to reduce your morning dose on your busy work days. Twice daily basal is more flexible and worth the extra injection.

If it was a really, really active job, I might reduce my meal-time boluses too.

Hi @Bat5 I reduce my basal and/or snack (without a bolus). Looking back, you were on Semglee? If you had a twice-daily insulin eg Levemir, you’d be able to reduce your morning dose on your busy work days. Twice daily basal is more flexible and worth the extra injection.

If it was a really, really active job, I might reduce my meal-time boluses too.
Your spot on with that and it works almost. I think I just need to reduce the basal dose a little more. I can snack and some days go without daytime insulin using the physical work to reduce the BG.It just we’re told to work towards 5.5/6.5 mmol at eating and try not to raise the BG too much but in reality if your trying to keep up with a busy day that’s just not practical.
Thanks for the advice

It’s all a balance @Bat5 If you need a glucose ‘reserve’ due to possible activity, then that’s what you have to do. I’ve had to do similar for a job. Obviously you don’t want to be really high, but apart from that you have to find what works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back