Diabetes and Working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitch

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone,

What has peoples experiences been like with having D and Working? Like I work Late evenings, 17:00 to 1am, I think its going to be difficult lifestyle wise, as I very rarely get more than 5hrs sleep, eating fairly late evening, has anyone actually switched careers/jobs to fit with the lifestyle needed with having D.
Thanks.
Andy.

I just work as normal, taking a minute as needed to test or inject. Diabetes doesn't mean you need to eat at set times so i don't see it would cause any issues with your job, unless newly on insulin and a driving job.

I too continue to work as normal. I don’t work shifts but I can find myself having unpredictable days working 14+ hours over multiple time zones.
And that is with insulin and some driving.

But don’t forget that we are all different. I have friends without diabetes who say they could not do my job and met people with Type 1 who are paramedics and doctors.

Diabetes alone should not stop you having the job/career you want but you may decide it is the impetus you need to change.

Hi Everyone,

What has peoples experiences been like with having D and Working? Like I work Late evenings, 17:00 to 1am, I think its going to be difficult lifestyle wise, as I very rarely get more than 5hrs sleep, eating fairly late evening, has anyone actually switched careers/jobs to fit with the lifestyle needed with having D.
Thanks.
Andy.
There is no reason what so ever not to carry on as you are, My diabetes lives with me as an uninvited guest so has to fit in with my needs not I with it 🙂
I used to work on call shifts of 24/7 lambing and calving season with no issues same as harvest time. Cows were milked at 5am and 4pm plus all the farm work in between. Others do a lot more demanding jobs than that with no issues.

Had various jobs working various shifts patterns, diabetes has never got in way, wouldn't let it tbh as that would be allowing condition to control your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back