• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.

Diabetes And Stroke

zepetra

Hi, my partner's mother has diabetes. She is 65 years old. She told me that doesn't matter what she does, she can't make her sugar level right. She has lost her dad 2 years ago. Her doctor told her that if she carries on like this, she 'd have a stroke. I'm very worry, could you please advice me what she could try to do? In general she eats well, loves cooking, take care of the family. Please, if you know someone like her or if you could give me some advice, please come back to me. Many thanks, any help would highly appreciated. Petra

Hi Zepetra

I think more detailed info needed. I am surprised that if she has been diagnosed she has not been referred to the diabetes clinic by her GP.

Firstly from your remarks she has type 2 diabetes and if so her blood plasma glucose would be normally monitored and treated with diet or diet and oral medication. If that isn't satisfactory, then using insulin.
This whole profile would normally be monitored carefully

I think perhaps that she is not telling you the whole dialogue with her GP, or has picked up odd snippets of their dialogue because she is frightened and used 'selective hearing' .

High blood glucose, if severe, can lead to other problems (including heart, circulation and possible stroke or TIA)

There is a lot of constructive info in the diabetes uk website.

Hi Zepetra

Just a practical suggestion as, like your partner's mother I love cooking and really enjoy baking, but how about some of the Diabetes UK cookery books as a Christmas present? I've found them really helpful in adjusting my cooking style and understanding what a wide range of foods I can eat plus I can keep going back to the practical information in them

Also has her GP referred her to a dietician or adjusted her treatment? It is difficult for you to know as, if I am anything to go by, "selective hearing" of what I'm told is not uncommon

Vanessa

For a quick solution - tell her to cut down on all carbs and sugars - she must do this! Then she MUST go back to her Doctor and insist that he address this problem.

Hooray for Daisy! Spot on advice!
Though in my experience it's enormously helpful to get a BG meter (quite cheap, virtually painless, easy to use). Then use it to find out foods raise BG levels by testing after meals. You very rapidly find that 'it's the carbs what do it'.

Back