Diabetes and sleep deprivation

simonpowers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Cause
Through sleep deprivation over 2 years, I have developed Type 2 Diabetes. This may not be the full cause, but I suspect it has a large part to play. There is research from Bristol University that suggests this is possible.

What it doesn't mention is whether if the sleep deprivation has gone and I am now having a good full night's sleep every night, will this reverse the diabetes?

Does anyone know of any research or personal experience of this?

Thanks
Simon

Maybe. I was fine early in 2021, then got stressed with work (And other things) and struggled to sleep for months. I then got a thigh pain that kept me awake. By the time I was diagnosed I hadn't slept for 6 months. During this period I started to get blurred vision and felt horrible.

When I was diagnosed I changed my diet, the pain went away, stress levels dropped and I started to sleep again. Since then it's been normal.

I think it certainly made what was probably something bubbling away worse.

There is, I believe, a quite a bit of evidence that sleep deprivation causes insulin resistance. Glucose tolerance changes during the day and night due to the circadian rhythm...

Maybe. I was fine early in 2021, then got stressed with work (And other things) and struggled to sleep for months. I then got a thigh pain that kept me awake. By the time I was diagnosed I hadn't slept for 6 months. During this period I started to get blurred vision and felt horrible.

When I was diagnosed I changed my diet, the pain went away, stress levels dropped and I started to sleep again. Since then it's been normal.

I think it certainly made what was probably something bubbling away worse.

There is, I believe, a quite a bit of evidence that sleep deprivation causes insulin resistance. Glucose tolerance changes during the day and night due to the circadian rhythm...
Thank you for replying. I am glad you have sorted it..
I am getting there with mine!
I have changed my diet, been monitoring my glucose levels and when I was diagnosed, I have an average of 13.3 mmol/l and in 4 months I have got it to an average of 7.3mmol/l.
I have sorted my sleep out and so I am now sleeping for 8 hours a night.
I am still experiencing huge spikes when I eat anything that within 2-3 hours have dropped back to normal. But the spikes can go as high as 13 again and in the evenings might last for 4-5 hours.
I'm getting there, I am just wondering if it will ever just not spike due to improved circumstances.

Thank you for replying. I am glad you have sorted it..
I am getting there with mine!
I have changed my diet, been monitoring my glucose levels and when I was diagnosed, I have an average of 13.3 mmol/l and in 4 months I have got it to an average of 7.3mmol/l.
I have sorted my sleep out and so I am now sleeping for 8 hours a night.
I am still experiencing huge spikes when I eat anything that within 2-3 hours have dropped back to normal. But the spikes can go as high as 13 again and in the evenings might last for 4-5 hours.
I'm getting there, I am just wondering if it will ever just not spike due to improved circumstances.
Perhaps if you look at the amount of carbs you are having in the meal that is causing such a big increase and if it is still over 8.5 mmol/l after 2 hours that does suggest it is too carb heavy.
What are you actually eating or drinking.

Well done on the progress you’ve made @simonpowers

Great to hear you’ve been able to reduce your average BGs, amd that your sleep is much improved.

How is your weight? Reducing your weight, especially weight carried around the abdomen which may indicate visceral fat, can help improve insulin sensitivity.

Back