Diabetes and skin trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akasha

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Just noticed on another thread by Gail, about having higher levels then recomended and itchy skin.
When i was diagnosed, i had a rash on my leg, (similar to the menagitis rash).
My mom and i came to the conclusion that it was the keytones. (being sort of blood infection)
Since then i have flare ups of what the doctor calls irritable skin. (to the point it feels my skin is on fire and i scratch and scratch ect)

Is this something common with diabetics?

since graham has been diagnosed eczema came up as well and in the winter is really bad especially in his feet i have to put lots of diprobase cream and he hates this and i use oilatum for his shower ask for a prescription is not only for children

I got chilblains for the first time in my life during my first winter since diagnosis. The dehydration caused by higher than normal levels also can cause dry skin problems.

I have eczema on my legs and also blotches that scab overi use cream on it to keep it , i had it before diabetes mind you.

I get really itchy dry skin too, but I think it's got better since diagnosis. I tend to get it when it's cold, or I'm stressed!

Hi ..

The week leading up to Nathan's diagnosis .. his skin was cracking and flaking off .. even around lips ... yet Doctor still did'nt pick up on it ... another story .. As Northe says, its to do with dehydration caused the body trying to use all moisture in the body to flush out ketones.

However since diagnosis .. he does have a couple of patches of dry skin .. I've just asked him if his skin ever itches .. he said yes .. and it as if he cant get to the exact point that is causing the itch.

Heidi
xx🙂

I use Diprobase too on frequent patches of dry skin. I used to have eczema really badly into my 30s but nowadays it's just a few dry bits,

If you're Type 1, there's always the possibility of psoriasis which is also an autoimmune disease. My Dad has suffered from it for over 20 years. :(

I have always had dry itchy skin, at least since my teens. Mylower legs in the 6 months prior to diagnisis itched like mad. Sjnce diagnosis this has settled down and I only get a flare up if I am dehydrated or my sugar levels are running high. I just make sure I have plenty of water and avoid anything likely to push the sugars up and I put antiseptic cream n the itchy bits and am soon feeling better.

for last 6 months or so I've been getting itches which I call my Fleas, but there is no rash, I read about Hives and that explained a lot of the causes etc but no rash. But reading more about Diabetes, could be darn well anything, we've got no chance!:(

Last edited:
But reading more about Diabetes, could be darn well anything, we're screwed!:(

I've now come to the conclusion that the only thing that isn't linked with Diabetes is winning the lottery!
🙄

I've now come to the conclusion that the only thing that isn't linked with Diabetes is winning the lottery!
🙄

:D Oh dear that is sad but very true!

🙄

LOL! if only!!

Crickey! been away for 4 days and got lot of replys!!
I do get aqreous cream from the doc, which helps. and i agree with it being stressed.
I was just generally curious.

🙄

That's a pity as otherwise we'd all be millionaires by now! 😉

hi everyone.

just seen this post and thought i would add to it. i have flaky itchy feet especially between my toes which was diagnoised as psoriasis two years ago, and i have a complimentary cream (i'm a complimentary therapist) which is a chickweed cream, but now i have a more violent version of it behind my ears, i have been applying the chickweed cream and it does take away the itch, but the flakiness is still there, as i am off to the docs on monday i will ask her what she thinks it is.

angie

At the moment I have some itchy patchs of dry skin on my legs and am using diprobase cream on them which is pretty good and soothing. One place I worked put int he policy that aquous cream shouldn't be used neat on skin only for as an emoliant in water for washing. Not sure what the manufacturers say about that though.

I got given by the quacks a tub with added menthol to it.
The cream to effectivly heal and calm the skin, and the menthol to soothe, as it does get quite painfull if its got to the point of me scratching.
Never heard about not using it neat on skin tho....
*frantically looks for instruction leaflet*

But yeah, i do wash in it aswell which helps. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back