diabetes and reflexology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hello,
Anyone out there had any experience of reflexology? I received a gift voucher this Christmas for a 1 hour session of the afore mentioned. I have had several sessions of reflexology before I became diabetic and experienced a couple of days of frequent visits to the toilet. Although not stressful. However this time it will be a whole new ball game, so has anyone got any tips before I book a session
Some information about me:
My name is Dodie
I am a 76year old female.
Had Pancreas, spleen, gall bladder and bile duct removed in September 2021. Reason, hugely dilated pancreatic duct.
Immediately became type T3c, which is taking some getting used to but have good support from my hospital based Diabetic and Dietetic nurses.
Also, since joining the forum in February, have learnt a great deal from other members.
So thank you one and all.
Dodie

Tell the reflexologist and see what they say.

I had reflexology many years ago after first diagnosis. The reflexologist should take a history before treating you is my understanding of it. I didn't experience any issues. Not sure what I think about the theory behind it but it's very relaxing having one's feet massaged and that can't be anything but a good thing surely.

There are plenty of articles about the positive benefit of reflexology and massage on controlling blood glucose levels in T2 diabetes. Google is your friend on this one.

Let us know how you get on Dodie.

This small study certainly didn’t identify any risks or concerns for people with T2 diabetes having a course of reflexology massage (though it didn’t identify and specific physiological benefits).

As @ColinUK says, if it’s relaxing and beneficial to your mood that can only be a good thing!

Hello,
Anyone out there had any experience of reflexology? I received a gift voucher this Christmas for a 1 hour session of the afore mentioned. I have had several sessions of reflexology before I became diabetic and experienced a couple of days of frequent visits to the toilet. Although not stressful. However this time it will be a whole new ball game, so has anyone got any tips before I book a session
Some information about me:
My name is Dodie
I am a 76year old female.
Had Pancreas, spleen, gall bladder and bile duct removed in September 2021. Reason, hugely dilated pancreatic duct.
Immediately became type T3c, which is taking some getting used to but have good support from my hospital based Diabetic and Dietetic nurses.
Also, since joining the forum in February, have learnt a great deal from other members.
So thank you one and all.
Dodie
Hi Dodie,
No experience of Reflexology. But anything that helps keeping one relaxed and calm is really good for BG control. Stress in all its different forms is bad, causing elevated BG from hormones like Adrenalin and Cortisol triggering the liver to release glucose from its store. I have tried practicing Mindfulness and that has helped me.
Roland

Re reflexology. Thanks everyone I am going to give it a go and will let you know how it goes.
Dodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back