Diabetes and pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFreeman

Good morning all, hope you're well.

Hope you don't mind this post - thought you'd be a helpful group to ask about this. I've been talking these past few days to our nurses/Care Advisors who are doing a lot of work around pregnancy and preconception care for women with diabetes, and they're looking to do some awareness raising on the subject.

It's quite a difficult subject to focus on as the messages will vary depending on people's age and their current situation in terms of becoming pregnant.

The subjects we need to highlight are:

- Contraception (to ensure you can plan your pregnancy)
- Folic acid (you need to take 5mg every day from when you start trying to get pregnant until you are 12 weeks pregnant to prevent spina bifida)
- Blood glucose control (high glucose levels, or swinging from high to low, cause damage as the baby is forming)
- Other medications (Statins or ACE inhibitors which could damage the baby if you were on them when you conceived)

Was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on the matter and perhaps how from experience, it would be best to approach the subject? We've got a few ideas but it's such a broad subject in terms of the different messages...

If you've got any input on such issues as whether it should be a video, website or leaflet; which age groups should be targeted (should we take a sort of sex education stance and try to educate teenagers or aim it at older age groups who may be in the process of planning a pregnancy?) they'd be great to hear.

Any thoughts would be fantastic - do feel free to email me if you'd prefer!

Thanks!

Joe

Digital Communities Manager
Diabetes UK
joe.freeman@diabetes.org.uk

I'll leave this on the general message board as it will be seen by more people, but you may also like to look on the pregnancy message board too.

You're welcome, I hope you get a good positive response.

We've had some brilliant responses from over on the pregnancy board, thank you everyone!

Also just wondering if anyone who hasn't had a baby has any thoughts on the subject?

Joe

Only thing I'd add is that not all women who haven't had babies actually want / need to have a baby - personally, I had decided not to have a child before I had diabetes, mainly due to lack of partner, and that didn't change when, five years after diagnosis, I met my partner - still together 11 years on. When a new consultant arrived at our hospital, she sent out letters to all women of child bearing age (even ones like me who'd said they didn't want children) advising about control, precautions etc and asking for comments. I wrote back saying I wasn't interested in pregnancy, but was interested in adventurous travel and outdoor activities. She couldn't offer any advice, but did invite me to come to speak to all clinic staff one dinner time.
However, advice / information should be offered to anyone who wants / needs it, bearing in mind it might be distressing to receive just after breaking up with a boyfriend etc, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back