Diabetes and pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lih

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone. I had a baby 19 years ago and everything went well. Is it safe to have a baby when I'm 49 and have type 1 diabetes. Has anyone got any experience of this please? Thanks

Hi everyone. I had a baby 19 years ago and everything went well. Is it safe to have a baby when I'm 49 and have type 1 diabetes. Has anyone got any experience of this please? Thanks
I think it is something you should discuss with your diabetic team. There will be risks because of your age but whether they would be greater because of your Type 1 diabetes would depend on how well managed it is to start with. In any case there will be things you should do to prepare for a pregnancy so worth doing your research on that.
These days I don't think 49 is too unusual but mid 40ies fairly common.
My daughter had someone in her clinic who had had IVF at 65 (overseas though).

I think your age would be the main issue rather than the Type 1. There was a lady in my clinic who was late 40s and did fine, but others might not. If you’re planning on conceiving naturally, your chances will be very slim. If you’re looking at assisted conception, then I suggest you first have a general health check and then speak to your diabetes clinic and, of possible, an obstetrician.

Thanks for the advice it has helped a lot. I had a great pregnancy 20 years ago but I was only 30. I remember all the changes due to my diabetes brought to the pregnancy but I sailed through it. Thanks for helping me see a clear picture. I think I'd better get some contraception. I will see my gp ASAP. Thanks again

Thanks for the advice it has helped a lot. I had a great pregnancy 20 years ago but I was only 30. I remember all the changes due to my diabetes brought to the pregnancy but I sailed through it. Thanks for helping me see a clear picture. I think I'd better get some contraception. I will see my gp ASAP. Thanks again
The stats are not good for a natural conception, but even so contraception might be a good plan.
By age 35, there's about a 15 percent chance of getting pregnant naturally per menstrual cycle, and by age 40, it drops to around 5 percent or less per cycle (around 1 in 10 women per cycle). At 45, there's only a slim chance of conceiving naturally, without fertility treatments or help.

Having said that by daughter became pregnant at 44 and my grandmother in the 1930ies became pregnant at 46.
My other half's Mum said she only realised how it happened after the third child out of six.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back