Diabetes and periods

AlicePalace

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi. This is a bit embarrassing to post here but I have been finding it hard with my period pain lately it's been really painful and my cycle is all over the place. I have been seen by different doctors and had an ultrasound scan done twice and a CT scan but nothing was found it was normal. The other thing is that my bloods can be all over the place as well so it's not very easy to manage I am just looking for some advice.

I used to get awful period pain @AlicePalace That improved greatly after having children (I’m not suggesting that as a cure!). I don’t know why. I found ibruprofen helped more than paracetamol, as did a special period pain tablet (sorry, I can’t remember the name - there were a couple of them I took at various times).

Have you had blood tests done too?

Has your cycle suddenly become irregular or has it always been like this? I found stress used to affect mine as did a change in weight or diet, travelling by aeroplane, being away from home, etc.

If your periods are irregular, that might be what’s messing up your blood sugars, but it’s possible it’s the other way round. Have you had a recent coeliac test and thyroid screen?

I do normally have blood tests done to check thyroid I have an under active thyroid as well. They have always been irregular but I have normally put it down to stress

Have you considered going on the contraceptive pill as I believe that can help with the severity of period pain but also regularise your cycle which may make your blood glucose easier to manage.

I did try one before I can't remember why I stopped taking it I think it was making me feel sick and I wasn't offered any other treatments

I did try one before I can't remember why I stopped taking it I think it was making me feel sick and I wasn't offered any other treatments
I'm sure there will be one which will suit you better.
There is usually a nurse at your surgery who deals with contraceptive issues not that is necessarily what you want it for.

The doctors can prescribe mefenamic acid for pain. I first got it when I was about your age and it was an absolute game changer for me for coping with the pain.

I have already got that it helps a bit much doesn't stop the pain it can still be really painful

Yeah it doesn't stop it entirely. Contraceptives is the next logical step I guess. I've found the coil really useful for period related stuff in my hot flush era now I'm in my 40s, but I don't think I'd have entertained the idea at your age. There's definitely more pills you can try though.

I have already got that it helps a bit much doesn't stop the pain it can still be really painful
I assume they have ruled out anything like endometriosis from the scans.
You could try a TENS machine as they can help with the pain. People use them effectively during contractions in childbirth which is similar to what is happening during a period.

Back