Diabetes and other illnesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

janeo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have other health issues, Fibromyalgia and a type of Lupus, meaning I have a mobility issue, exercise is pretty much out of the question. I wondered if others have anything similar and how they deal with it. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 2 years ago, all the meds they tried didn't suit me, I lost a bit of weight and am now borderline so doctor etc all happy. Ive had the other things for over 10 years.

I have social anxiety and hormonal problems and although I don't have mobility problems my husband has Ehlers Danlos and other physical problems so because I cannot go anywhere without him I sort of have mobility problems by association so to speak.

I have sorted out my diabetes by using alternative ingredients to make my food, by drinking more to stay hydrated and by getting better sleep and reducing stress levels. I am autistic and meds tend to cause me more problems than they solve so I try and avoid where practically possible and have managed to come off the blood pressure and diabetes meds and stayed off them for a couple of years now.

After I did that I started to feel like being more physically active and I use VR for meditation, relaxation and I use fairly vigorous games/apps to cycle, box, dance and do sword type activities. My main difficulty is making sure I don't overdo it. My husband who has severe joint and connective tissue problems also enjoys using VR but he does his sitting down and does more gentle active things like 'walkabout' mini golf and some other very gentle movements.

I have other health issues, Fibromyalgia and a type of Lupus, meaning I have a mobility issue, exercise is pretty much out of the question. I wondered if others have anything similar and how they deal with it. I was diagnosed with type 2 about 2 years ago, all the meds they tried didn't suit me, I lost a bit of weight and am now borderline so doctor etc all happy. Ive had the other things for over 10 years.
I'm working on the world record for autoimmune conditions including MS.
Simple solution for the exercise which is a must is to have a dog. 🙂 He needs and insists on his walks everyday which motivates me to move. On really bad days then my friend takes him with her two dogs for a run.

Many with mobility/weight bearing problems have found swimming very helpful.

Welcome to the forum
All you can do in terms of being active is do what you can do, every little bit helps, The NHS has some seated exercises and there is a program here run by @Francesca DUK to help people get more mobile.
The main thing is to concentrate on your diet to help reduce your blood glucose level but obviously you have to take into consideration your other health issues. But I'm sure there will be low carb meals that will be suitable for you and just looking at reducing portion sizes of any high carb foods and making some substitutions may be sufficient.
This link may help you find a way to modify your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back