Diabetes and Fungal Infections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magowzer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Diagnosed Diabetic about 6 months (type 1) and have now got a fungal infection in the groin area. Want to know the best things I can do to get rid of it as soon as possible. Doc has prescribed Dakcourt cream but what else can I do try to get rid of the infection.

Thanks

Stephen

Thrush is a common symptom of diabetes. When our blood sugar levels are high, our body tries to get rid of the excess sugar through urine which is why excess urinating is a common symptom. But the effect of this is that it affects our PH in our groin area which provides a "welcoming environment" for fungal infections.
This is another reason why it is a good idea to ensure our blood sugar levels are not high.

So, to answer you question what else you can do to try to get rid of the infection - try to maintain lower blood sugar levels. Feel free to call upon your diabetes team if you need help.

Getting fungal infections is pretty common for diabetics, and usually getting sugars in range will combat the problem long term. Have the doctors tested the area to see what particular infection it is? As some respond to different treatments. Keeping the area cool, dry and free of irritants may help but groins are warmer areas which can be why they take their time to heal.

Wash that bit of you with water, don't use soap, pat dry. Once you're clean pour a jug of warm saline (approx 1 teaspoonful salt to a litre of water) straight over the affected bits (easy enough for a bloke to actually immerse some bits) - and then pat dry - do NOT towel roughly as you'll be as sore as hell. Don't be in too much of a hurry to put tight clothing back on - let some air to it ! - and clean underwear. Got any cotton underwear? - far less sweaty than any synthetic fibre. Whatever gender we happen to be I highly recommend naturism when the weather's warm enough - plus VERY importantly for those of us with diabetes - keeping our BG as near 5ish as we can manage for as long a time as humanly possible every day, is the best defence of all.

Never had an issue until I became a wheelchair user. Makes it hard for lower regions to breathe!

Used to have those problems. Saw dermatologist who prescribed "Hibiscrub" an anti-microbial wash and "Dermol" an anti-microbial emollient to use in the shower after soap and shower gel. Told me to stop spraying Daktocort and simply use talcum powder to dry after shower. Use every day and haven't had a problem since.

I had both down below and in my mouth took over a year to get rid of was a nightmare Dr gave me cream and tablet.

I feel your pain! I had issues for years on all sorts of medications, sometimes months treatments at a time. Once I got diagnosed/started insulin and spoke with the diabetes nurse she told me it would go away once BG started to level out/reduce to normal levels. Until then no amount or strength of tablets/creams etc would do anything at all. To be honest, it has gone now thankfully! I do hope it goes away and you get some relief soon, nothing worse than being constantly uncomfortable

I feel your pain! I had issues for years on all sorts of medications, sometimes months treatments at a time. Once I got diagnosed/started insulin and spoke with the diabetes nurse she told me it would go away once BG started to level out/reduce to normal levels. Until then no amount or strength of tablets/creams etc would do anything at all. To be honest, it has gone now thankfully! I do hope it goes away and you get some relief soon, nothing worse than being constantly uncomfortable
My BGs have been really tight since amputation. I think I need an airflow wheelchair cushion!

Hope it clears up soon @Magowzer

I had a bit of ‘jock itch’ (and athletes foot) once or twice when I was a member of a gym. Damp changing rooms and all that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back