diabetes and bowel movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

pudding123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi was just wondering if anyone who maybe has been diabetic for a longtime has any problems with loose stools, i have this problem about three times a week and is mostly in the mornings , after i have eaten then i will have 1 or 2 days with not going at all and some days normal, does anyone else have this problem, thanks.

Hi was just wondering if anyone who maybe has been diabetic for a longtime has any problems with loose stools, i have this problem about three times a week and is mostly in the mornings , after i have eaten then i will have 1 or 2 days with not going at all and some days normal, does anyone else have this problem, thanks.
Are you taking any medication for diabetes as they can cause that issue. Can you relate it to anything in particular you have eaten.
Any changes to bowel habits if persistent would be worth a chat with your diabetic nurse. of GP

i am on metformin and glicazide i have heard that metformin can cause this but i thought it would be when you first start taking it and i have been on it for about7 years. i also have been keeping a food diary this last month but cant really see any thing specific it could be. i am very stressed at the moment so i,m sure thats not helping.
i have has this before and it went away, but i suffer from health anxiety so i,m thinking all sorts.

i am on metformin and glicazide i have heard that metformin can cause this but i thought it would be when you first start taking it and i have been on it for about7 years. i also have been keeping a food diary this last month but cant really see any thing specific it could be. i am very stressed at the moment so i,m sure thats not helping.
i have has this before and it went away, but i suffer from health anxiety so i,m thinking all sorts.
Some people have found that a different brand of metformin from what you normally have can have that effect, maybe a reaction to the coating or bulking agents in a particular one.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing some irregularity with your poop @pudding123 :(

What is your fibre intake like? Do you think you are getting enough from your menu? Or might a supplement like psyllium husk help?

Hope you can find a way of getting things regular again, and that your levels of stress reduce.

If your gut microflora is out of balance then having live yoghurt can help to restore things.

@pudding123 Don’t assume it’s the diabetes. If it persists, I’d speak to your GP. Keeping a food diary is a great idea. You could also try to reduce the stress and really concentrate on eating slowly and chewing your food very well.

If no recent meds changes then is there Any history of gallstones? Can really mess with bowel movements and lead to pancreas issues.

Would be more worried if you still had it but you can get stones still sometimes, if you get any pain or acid definitely check with the Drs, also… but grim this is ….stools float or are oily or sulphur smell then definitely see the dr as can be pancreatic issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back