Diabetes and Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gladys

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hello Everyone

It has been a while since I have been on this helpful site, when managing/learning about reactive hypoglycemia. Currently been diagnosed with Sjrogens Syndrome. This disability has lots of implictions and will involve seeing lots of different medical people. Some guidance please

1)It was diagnosed privately. I am not finding my g.p. practice helpful at moment in giving general guidance, any support. Has anyone had this issue with their diabetes and if so, tips on how to manage the situation.

2)Ongoing support will involve many dental visits/expensive dental things to use - Currently on tax credits and over 60 which makes it manageable. Used to be on a medical exemption certificate, which I stopped applying for when reached 60. These will end in two years. Wondering if need to go back on medical exemption certificate to see if that covers dental products. Any guidance re what people have done re their diabetes would be helpful

3)As Sjogrens involves need to see lots of different medical people, how did people with diabetes get referred to different people - was it the g.p. who referred, was it someone else, how long was the wait. Have waited over nine months to see a neurologist, still waiting, - this is linked to Sjogrens. From what I have read on Sjogrens, being pro-active in medical care is important. Hoping to people hear may be able to say what sort of things worked for them, who with, anything that may be helpful

All good wishes

Gladys

DRY EYES ! - usually manifests by your flippin eyes streaming - often when you get in bed at night. Yes that does sound potty I agree, but it's also linked with Rheumatoid Arthritis and some other auto-immune conditions, cos one of our daughter's has the syndrome and RA. Our GP surgery hasn't been helpful in the past with the S at all, despite her hospital Rheumatology consultant telling them she needs eye drops prescribing for the flipping S. So, she's had to buy eye drops, or we have, for her.

Medical exemption cert just covers prescriptions. You may need one again as government is having a consultation to rais age you get free presciptions from 60 to state pension age.
You could apply for low income scheme if/when you vome off qulifying benefits
Btw tax credits alone do not give help with health costs. You need a tax credit exemption cert. If you qualify you should get in post automatically, last about 6 months, inliss you are covered by another benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back