Diabetes and antidepressives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essex

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
My HbA1c levels took a jump at the same time (mid 2019) as I started taking Escitalopram ('Cipralex' or 'Lexaproan', an SSRI) - see graph below (I never looked at the HbA1c values until recently as the tests were for other things)

I have tried searching but cant find any links but it seems like a big coincidence

It might well be just that I started enjoying live again and hence overindulged 🙂, metabolism changed as I relaxed etc, but I thought I would ask here if anyone was aware of any links

(I'm not going to stop the escitalopram - best thing I ever did, and this time I will see it through to the end, as advised by my psychologist and psychiatrist.)

Thanks

1636657034092.png

Thanks!
Of course!

This is the third time I have been on them (first two I made the classic mistake of stopping too early - always got therapy tho) and the main side effect I had each time was weight gain (I think because I stopped becoming a bundle of nerves and relaxed, slowing my metabolism, so a side effect of the hoped-for effect rather than to the meds, if you follow me)

Unfortunately, in the last 3 months since I realised that I was over the limit I have lost all that weight and my HbA1c hasnt dropped down much (last point on the graph - 48 mmol/mol). Does it take a while to drop down after weight loss?

I think perhaps I am over-reacting a bit after reading much higher values on here as I never went above 51, but I'd like to get down to the high 30's like 5 years ago if poss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back