Diabetes after a Hysterectomy

AmyJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello
I’m 44 years old and I’ve been diabetic for 18 years now. I’m on the omni Pod 5 and have been “podding” for a while.
I’m due to have a full hysterectomy in 2 weeks time and I’m concerned about how this will affect my control. I’m already on HRT for peri- menopause. Has anyone here experienced this ?
Xx

Hello
I’m 44 years old and I’ve been diabetic for 18 years now. I’m on the omni Pod 5 and have been “podding” for a while.
I’m due to have a full hysterectomy in 2 weeks time and I’m concerned about how this will affect my control. I’m already on HRT for peri- menopause. Has anyone here experienced this ?
Xx
Welcome to the forum
I can't say how it might affect you diabetes management but initially you will be restricted in the type of exercise you will be able to do for several weeks. I was told no vacuuming or lifting but then it may depend on the type of surgery.
You may need a different type of hormone therapy post surgery rather than the HRT you are currently on.
I had a hysterectomy at 32 and was told I would get premature menopause symptoms but never did and have never taken any hormone replacement.
I hope your surgery goes well. You should have a plan in place as to how your blood glucose will be managed during the surgery and hospital stay which is agreed by you and your team.

I had a hysterectomy (laparoscopic sub-total hysterectomy to give it its full name) whilst pumping at a similar age to you.

As it was major surgery, my BG was raised on the day and maybe a couple of days afterwards but I recovered quickly - the surgeon warned me I would be feeling tired for two months but I was back at the gym in less than 1 month and climbing soon afterwards.
(The physio advice annoyed me because it only focused on women's household chores (vacuuming, laundry, cooking) so, as an engineer, I had to ask about gardening and car mechanics. I didn't do any mechanics but I was filling the kettle with more than a glass of water within a week.)
Once recovered, my BG was back to normal.

At the time, I was using a tubed pump which I was able to keep out of the way of the surgery and the anaesthetist was happy to keep it rather than needing the sliding scale. I recommend discussing this as soon as you can.

I was not on HRT so do not know if that has any impact.

I hope the surgery goes well.

Thank you for your reply’s, I’m hoping it will improve my control as running up to a period (never regular) my sugar is harder to manage. Higher numbers, less response from the same amount of insulin given. So without that up and down in hormones fingers crossed it helps. Im really anxious about the surgery, I’ve got endometriosis, cysts and fibroids so it has to go. When you had your procedure did the nurses check your sugars for you? I’m worried about having a hypo and not been able to treat it if I’m, how can I put this “out of it” to treat. Any tips on what to take with me ? Thank you again for your responses
I don’t know anyone who’s diabetic and is waiting or had the surgery. My mind has been racing with questions. I’ve only one ovary at the moment anyway which has 3 cysts on it so it’s going to be a complete hysterectomy. Xx

While I was "out of it" during the surgery, the anaesthetist kept an eye on my BG. There was no need for him to intervene but if necessary, he would have added insulin or glucose to the drip.
Afterwards, I came around pretty quickly but the nurse checked my BG every hour ... throughout the night. At least, that is what she said she would do, So she woke me at 11pm. midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am... to do a finger prick. By then, I was automatically awake at 4am and waited and waited and waited and ... but at 6am, when the nurse appeared she said she was happy with the results so had decided to stop waking me up.
As I had my pump, I was able to dose my own insulin.
I recommend taking your full diabetes kit including finger prick meter, spare pens, something to keep you entertained and comfy loose fitting clothes. I would suggest a baggy dress rather than something that has a waist band which could get in the way of your scars. I borrowed a dress from a friend who is a bit bigger than me.

Keep asking questions - happy if you would rather DM me,

While I was "out of it" during the surgery, the anaesthetist kept an eye on my BG. There was no need for him to intervene but if necessary, he would have added insulin or glucose to the drip.
Afterwards, I came around pretty quickly but the nurse checked my BG every hour ... throughout the night. At least, that is what she said she would do, So she woke me at 11pm. midnight, 1am, 2am, 3am... to do a finger prick. By then, I was automatically awake at 4am and waited and waited and waited and ... but at 6am, when the nurse appeared she said she was happy with the results so had decided to stop waking me up.
As I had my pump, I was able to dose my own insulin.
I recommend taking your full diabetes kit including finger prick meter, spare pens, something to keep you entertained and comfy loose fitting clothes. I would suggest a baggy dress rather than something that has a waist band which could get in the way of your scars. I borrowed a dress from a friend who is a bit bigger than me.

Keep asking questions - happy if you would rather DM me,
Thank you Helli, not sure how to DM on this good to hear they keep a good watch on you. I’ve ordered myself a baggy onsie to wear after as you said probably not going to want anything tights around my middle.
Is a subtotal a complete hysterectomy, ovaries and all?
I’m hoping I won’t have to stay in for long afterwards. Thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions. I go though periods of “let’s do this” (I’ve been waiting 8 years !) and oh god am I ready
The first time around my HbA1c was too high so they wouldn’t operate.
With the help of Ozempic I’ve had it as low as 58 ! Even though I carnt get hold of it anymore and they are up to 63 now. So it’s a long time coming.
Just hear so many stories about the menopause and thinking what impact will have have on my control xx

I would suspect subtotal means they may leave your 1 ovary as total would mean everything. You will normally be asked to consent to that if something indicated it when you undergo the surgery.
When I had mine it was rather unexpected and it may not now be done like that. But I went in for just the removal of an ovarian cyst which they found to be precancerous, so I had the second operation one week after the first to remove the rest of the equipment. I would say recovery takes longer than you expect. It was unfortunate that I was committed to starting Uni as a mature student 3 weeks after my surgery and I really struggled with concentration and physically standing during long lab sessions. It was probably 3 months before I felt on the planet.

@Leadinglights “subtotal” refers to my comment above.
@AmyJ my ovaries remained so I did not go through menopause after the hysterectomy. The reason for my surgery was 1kg of fibroids so I guess it was simpler than yours. But remember it is a common surgery.
I only stayed in overnight because I have diabetes. For most women it is day surgery. I was told I could go home at 6:30am the next day.

If you want to DM, click on my name and select “Send direct message”.

I had a total hysterectomy and bi-lateral oopherectomy so all that was left was my vagina - which I used to say was blanket stitched at the (now) loose end, since I no longer had a cervix - and of course they do anchor it to some bit of your insides so it operates in the normal way when (One hopes!) enjoying intercourse. Whilst already in there doing the expected and planned deed caused by enormous fibroids, the surgeon discovered loads of endometriosis that neither of us expected - so instead of being the planned couple of hours - it was nearer 5 by the time she'd inspected my innards and carefully removed it all!

Back