Diabetes: a ticking time bomb for the NHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes is one of the fastest growing conditions worldwide, with the International Diabetes Federation predicting that at least one in ten adults could have the illness by 2030.
There are currently 3.8 million people living with diabetes in the UK. This is expected to rise to 6.25 million by 2035/6.
But in spite of growing numbers developing condition, research shows that not enough is being done to tackle it in this country.
A report published in May by the National Audit Office (NAO) reveals that many are still not receiving expected standards of care, leading to avoidable deaths, and increased expenditure for the NHS.
Figures show that in 2009/10, just half of people with diabetes in the UK received the nine essential NICE-recommended checks and services for people with the condition.
Furthermore, in some areas of the country a mere 6 per cent of people received these necessary checks.

http://www.nice.org.uk/newsroom/news/DiabetesATickingTimeBombNHS.jsp

Still recommending the 'starchy, low fat' diet as the healthiest...

Diabetes is one of the fastest growing conditions worldwide, with the International Diabetes Federation predicting that at least one in ten adults could have the illness by 2030.
There are currently 3.8 million people living with diabetes in the UK. This is expected to rise to 6.25 million by 2035/6.
But in spite of growing numbers developing condition, research shows that not enough is being done to tackle it in this country.
A report published in May by the National Audit Office (NAO) reveals that many are still not receiving expected standards of care, leading to avoidable deaths, and increased expenditure for the NHS.
Figures show that in 2009/10, just half of people with diabetes in the UK received the nine essential NICE-recommended checks and services for people with the condition.
, in some areas of the country a mere 6 per cent of people received these necessary checks.

http://www.nice.org.uk/newsroom/news/DiabetesATickingTimeBombNHS.jsp

Still recommending the 'starchy, low fat' diet as the healthiest...

No they didn't recommend starchy low fat diet as the "healthiest" : they said that option was "included" among examples of helpful diets. You're reading in to it stuff that isn't there.
And no wonder they say that when the recent Swedish study showed that every 20 gram reduction in Carbs lead to a 5% increase in heart diseases risk. And that was the general population of women, diabetics are already at higher risk of cvd per se, low carbing would probably be a double whammy for diabetics.
And in the context of the article (reducing /avoiding type 2) those dietary recommendations are for non-diabetics to help them avoid diabetes.

Last edited:
And no mention of self testing:confused:

And no wonder they say that when the recent Swedish study showed that every 20 gram reduction in Carbs lead to a 5% increase in heart diseases risk. And that was the general population of women, diabetics are already at higher risk of cvd per se, low carbing would probably be a double whammy for diabetics.
And in the context of the article (reducing /avoiding type 2) those dietary recommendations are for non-diabetics to help them avoid diabetes.

I think you are reading things into the Swedish study that isn't there also, as it doesn't include whether the risk would be the same if the women were diabetic, where a reduced carb intake may lower risk of CVD through improved BG control...

And no mention of self testing:confused:

because the thrust of the article is about MEdic/Doctor led monitoring (NICE 9). But the article changes tack halfway through and concentrates on an unrelated topic - how to reduce the number of people being dxed not how to manage it once dxed.

I think you are reading things into the Swedish study that isn't there also, as it doesn't include whether the risk would be the same if the women were diabetic, where a reduced carb intake may lower risk of CVD through improved BG control...

I'm not reading anything into the Swedish study ...did you miss the word 'probably" in the statement you quoted 😉. I was going to write "possibly" there originally.

This is where my mindset differs from NICE or the NHS's one.

I have never in my life before or since D - BASED any meal I have ever eaten on starchy carbs. It doesn't occur to me.

I never think I have bread - what can I put on it? I think I have some lovely thick cut smoked ham, and shedloads of salad stuff - what shall I support it on to carry it to my mouth sans a knife and fork?

Or I have a nice piece of topside, we'll have X veg and Y veg, (say carrots and cauli) and I'll have a couple of roasties, (ie 2 LOL) and one small individual Yorkshire pudding.

I have chilli - and enough rice to stop it being too sloppy to eat. I was appalled when we went to Italy and they served up all that spaghetti in a bowl - with individual crumbs of mince distributed amongst it!

Crumble or pastry are only convenient, less messy ways of eating stewed fruit or stewed meat.

Starchy carbs are merely what you have WITH 'the basis of the meal' and all the NICE veg. !!! If you become full, you leave the spuds and eat the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back