Diaberic Pharmacist???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Does anybody have experience of dealing with a diabetic pharmacist? My gp spent ages this morning talking to me about changing my treatment as a type 2 diabetic from metformin as I have had some awful side affects. Said my prescription would be ready this afternoon to start on glipizide. Then I got a text from him saying I have an appointment in 8 days time to speak to the diabetic pharmacist. No explanation. Do diabetic pharmacists prescribe? Thanks in advance.

Hi, @Bridgie yes diabetic pharmacists do prescribe, I have one at my GP's surgery and she's very good at what she does.
I never got on with Metformin either so I was changed to Glicklazide which works fine for me, with no side effects whatsoever.

We have a practice pharmacist at my GP surgery, but I don’t think they specify him diabetes-wise.

Am I right in remembering that there is a sort of heirarchy of meds with who can prescribe what - some by nurse (or pharmacist?), some only by Dr, some only by consultant?

In my surgery there is a prescribing nurse but I believe she acts on guidance from GP and also can't reduce any prescription unless told to do so by GP. It is a bit of a nonsense system and a faff. If you want to see about reducing tabs you have to ask the prescrbing nurse, who will ask GP and eventually gets back with a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back