DH to proceed with plans for responsible officers to check GP language competency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In its consultation on draft amendments to the responsible officer role, the DH said language checking should form part of pre-appointment checks by responsible officers to ensure patients are not put at risk by someone who could not communicate clearly in English.

While EU law currently prevents the Government writing this into the regulations, the DH said they are ‘continuing to explore’ the details of whether mandatory language checks could be written into legislation.

They are also proposing to give the NHS Commissioning Board the power to issue guidance on language checks, which responsible officers will have to follow.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/dh-to-p...check-gp-language-competency/20001286.article

Makes a lot of sense to me. I am a linguist and used to communicating with people who do not have English as their first language, but some of the HCPs I have dealt with - including some consultants - have been practically impenetrable, making it very difficult. :( Ridiculous that this should be prohibited by EU Law!

Makes sense to everybody and I have absolutely no idea whatsoever why other countries don't find it essential.

Can anyone else suggest any reason why they don't?

Makes sense to everybody and I have absolutely no idea whatsoever why other countries don't find it essential.

Can anyone else suggest any reason why they don't?

Perhaps they'd rather not know what is wrong with them? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back