Dexcom versus Libre

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I wondered if anyone had moved from Libre to Dexcom? I have used Libre for years and my wife sent me a link to the Dexcom ad. The ad claims that Dexcom is the only CGM product! However, it appears that the cost is £159/month for sensors. Libre costs me £100/month for sensors. Is Dexcom worth the extra?

Is Libre doing what you want it to? Is it mostly accurate for you? If so and if you’re not on a tslim and wanting the dexcom to link to it then you probably don’t need to pay the extra. For my kid Dexcom was way more accurate and linking it to the pump and us being able to see data made it worth paying for (Libre would be free on the NHS) but it’s not better per se if you don’t need anything more than the Libre is giving you.

They’re probably still doing the 3 month trial pack so you could do that and see if it’s worth it before committing if you’re interested.

Thanks for that. Generally Libre has been ok but some times I have had an inaccurate sensor. To be fair to Abbott, they always replace them for free and without a quibble. I might give the trial a go. I could compare the two systems and check against finger pricks for accuracy

Dexcom is way more accurate than Libre, to the point that we hardly do any finger pricks at all any more. You can get it reading out on your phone if you don’t want to buy the reader, although I think there is a fairly limited range of phones that the app will work on. We only switched because we have a t-slim pump at the moment which acts as the reader and will adjust insulin delivery automatically depending on what the Dexcom is telling it. Wouldn’t want to switch back now though even if we changed pumps!

Thanks for that. Generally Libre has been ok but some times I have had an inaccurate sensor. To be fair to Abbott, they always replace them for free and without a quibble. I might give the trial a go. I could compare the two systems and check against finger pricks for accuracy
You will always have inaccurate sensors no matter what make they are.

Dexcom is way more accurate than Libre, to the point that we hardly do any finger pricks at all any more. You can get it reading out on your phone if you don’t want to buy the reader, although I think there is a fairly limited range of phones that the app will work on. We only switched because we have a t-slim pump at the moment which acts as the reader and will adjust insulin delivery automatically depending on what the Dexcom is telling it. Wouldn’t want to switch back now though even if we changed pumps!
I have found the same. I rarely do finger pricks now, except to do random checks on the Dexcom. Almost always within about 10% of each other, which is probably well within the error margin of either.

Earlier this year, Dexcom offered a 20 day free trial which I took up.
I think I am the exception
- I found the Dexcom app very basic.
- I found the sensor plus transmitter combo bulky
- I disliked the excessive non recyclable plastic in the applicator
- i found the readings to be inaccurate. They were not consistently out in one direction but rather noisily variable and did not stabilise over the life of the sensor. As the trial was two sensors, I assumed the problem was me rather than the sensors.

I decided to save my money and stick with my Libre 2 / xDrip combo which I calibrate twice a day. The calibration frequency is more peace of mind as it is rarely out more than 10%. I am happy to use this for insulin dose calculation.

I too did the Dexcom free trial. Apart from the obvious advantage of continuous monitoring over flash monitoring, the two pluses for me were better accuracy than Libre (though still not matching finger pricks); and the ability legitimately to place the sensor in a more discreet position than on my upper arm (where it can show when wearing short sleeved or sleeveless clothes) though having said that, the sensor was indeed bulky which rather precluded snug-fitting garments, and the adhesive pad fixing the sensor/transmitter to the skin became very grubby from constant contact with clothing fibres.

The applicator seemed unnecessarily bulky and I was, like @helli , appalled by the excessive use of plastic.

The obvious difference is of course the cost. No way would I ever qualify for Dexcom on prescription and I do have more important things to spend £159 a month on. Libre 2 (which similar to Helli, I use in conjunction with xDrip4IO5) suits me fine for now, but I do look forward to Libre 3 which will be effectively CGM as it transmits readings every minute to a smartphone via bluetooth, and smaller as well! I understand it's not expected to cost the NHS any more than L1 or L2

Do the trial - you've nothing to lose (except an extra £60 a month should you fall in love with it!)

is it easier to aplly then libre as it seems i can't get libre to keep working.

is it easier to aplly then libre as it seems i can't get libre to keep working.
I found it harder to apply because you have to separately apply to sensor and then clip in the transmitter.
I then found the transmitter difficult to unclip when the sensor expired.

What is your problem with the Libre?
It is not necessarily related to application

I found it harder to apply because you have to separately apply to sensor and then clip in the transmitter.
I then found the transmitter difficult to unclip when the sensor expired.

What is your problem with the Libre?
It is not necessarily related to application
They all stop working before its time so i starting to think it must be me. I know dexcom you can wear else so might be able to use too hands

Earlier this year, Dexcom offered a 20 day free trial which I took up.
I think I am the exception
- I found the Dexcom app very basic.
- I found the sensor plus transmitter combo bulky
- I disliked the excessive non recyclable plastic in the applicator
- i found the readings to be inaccurate. They were not consistently out in one direction but rather noisily variable and did not stabilise over the life of the sensor. As the trial was two sensors, I assumed the problem was me rather than the sensors.

I decided to save my money and stick with my Libre 2 / xDrip combo which I calibrate twice a day. The calibration frequency is more peace of mind as it is rarely out more than 10%. I am happy to use this for insulin dose calculation.

Useful to know, just discussing Dexcom sensors other week with dsn. Find libre 2 really accurate, so much more than 1 version, looking forward to next version when it arrives here on our shores.

I have tried Libre 1, Libre 2, Enlite, Guardian G3 and Dexcom G6.

Dex works really really well for me, and in combination with the Tandem tSlim I think I consider to be the best combination of kit i have used.

apart the libre just decicided it doesn't like me, i think it would usful to have something you can glace at rather then scaning

Back