Dexcom residue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp00kySke11y

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Whenever I remove the Dexcom to change it, I get left with this black residue that I can not remove. I have to pretty much scrape my skin to remove it and I don't want to do that anymore. I bought some alcohol swabs but they don't work much either.
I have seen other people removing the Dexcom and they don't have residue, is there a way to prevent it?

It is probably adhesive and nail varnish remover is usually pretty effective or at least it used to be when it mainly acetone.

I use Zoff wipes which works well (and removes nail varnish too)

I remove the stuck on ashesive with baby oil and cotton ball, or a baby wipe. Baby oil lets it wipe away smoothly, but baby wipes let me scrub it off if it's really stuck on.

The leftover adhesive only turns black for me if the sensor has been removed and had enough time for lint to collect on it.

I remove the stuck on ashesive with baby oil and cotton ball, or a baby wipe. Baby oil lets it wipe away smoothly, but baby wipes let me scrub it off if it's really stuck on.

The leftover adhesive only turns black for me if the sensor has been removed and had enough time for lint to collect on it.
Yeah. Is there anyway to avoid it? I’ve seen other people who take off the sensor and have no adhesive left on them. I don’t know why it happens to me.

Is there anyway to avoid it? I’ve seen other people who take off the sensor and have no adhesive left on them. I don’t know why it happens to me.
I guess sometimes the adhesive just comes off with the sensor more cleanly? I wonder if the skin of different people varies in some way?

Maybe it is the way you peel it off. Ever tried peeling a label off a jar, peel slowly from one corner and it comes off fine, peel quickly and it leaves a horrible residue.

Whenever I remove the Dexcom to change it, I get left with this black residue that I can not remove. I have to pretty much scrape my skin to remove it and I don't want to do that anymore. I bought some alcohol swabs but they don't work much either.
I have seen other people removing the Dexcom and they don't have residue, is there a way to prevent it?

Hello,

Though I don’t use Dexcom. (Libre user.) I do occasionally get a little black circular marking.
I found using a Libre protector band stops this.

The black residue, I believe could be “lint” from the material of clothing catching in the adhesive on the edges? (From my experience, especially if it’s a new item.)
I quite often wear black. Seems to coincide after a period of wearing either a long sleeve thermal base layer or Tee.

Yeah. Is there anyway to avoid it? I’ve seen other people who take off the sensor and have no adhesive left on them. I don’t know why it happens to me.
I think it's a skin type thing.

I always have residue, regardless of how I remove sensors, and I get it for Libre 2 & 3, and Dexcom G7. But if it wipe the adhesive off with baby oil or baby wipes soon after removing the sensor, I avoid the black stuff (where lint has collected on the adhesive).

If I have a really hard to remove sensor, I put some baby oil on a cotton ball and use that to loosen the adhesive, wiping between the sensor and my skin to get the sensor to peel away. I think this results in a bit less residue on my skin, but it's not the reason I do it.

Hello,

Though I don’t use Dexcom. (Libre user.) I do occasionally get a little black circular marking.
I found using a Libre protector band stops this.

The black residue, I believe could be “lint” from the material of clothing catching in the adhesive on the edges? (From my experience, especially if it’s a new item.)
I quite often wear black. Seems to coincide after a period of wearing either a long sleeve thermal base layer or Tee.
Same for me, so I think you are right. I no longer get a mark and the watch face cover of the arm strap covers the edges of the sensor where the adhesive would be exposed to the fabric of your clothing and attract lint.

I would say the answer is to always wear light coloured clothing or get an arm strap.

I get residue from plasters if I wear dark clothing over the top. I think there is slight movement of the plaster or sensor leaving a small amount of glue for fluff/lint to stick to.

Same for me, so I think you are right. I no longer get a mark and the watch face cover of the arm strap covers the edges of the sensor where the adhesive would be exposed to the fabric of your clothing and attract lint.

I would say the answer is to always wear light coloured clothing or get an arm strap.
I still get it (black mark.) from those plasters the nurse insists on placing after a blood test?
In fact quite often they’ve run out of plasters & use a swab & a bit of medical tape.
They seem to bang it on before I realise & say “no need.”

I graciously say thank you & try to remember to remove ASAP. I’m a fast healer.

If none of the above remove it sufficiently you can use Tac Away wipes which will take off the remaining adhesive plus anything that’s stuck to it. I get the same marks around HRT patches which have minimal adhesive but I wear pretty much all black clothing so they still pick up clothing fibres around edges. My kid’s dexcom ones can be really black as he only wears black T-shirts and hoodie’s and the like.

The arm bands are great for libre, bit with dexcoms unregular shape not sure they would work for dexcom

The arm bands are great for libre, bit with dexcoms unregular shape not sure they would work for dexcom
You wouldn’t use a libre armband for a dexcom you’d get a dexcom armband. Easily available online

Yes, i know. What i mean is, as a circle there are no issues lining up the libre to fit the armband, but with dexcom being irregular if you don't put it on in the right way then there is no way the band will work.
Which probably explains why a lot of companies that do the libre armband do not do it also for the dexcom.

You wouldn’t use a libre armband for a dexcom you’d get a dexcom armband. Easily available online

To be fair.
Could look a little strange if the Dexcom is sited on the abdomen.

Yes, i know. What i mean is, as a circle there are no issues lining up the libre to fit the armband, but with dexcom being irregular if you don't put it on in the right way then there is no way the band will work.
Which probably explains why a lot of companies that do the libre armband do not do it also for the dexcom.

I just had a quick look & there seems to be a variety of flavours for the Dexcom types. Even the company I got my Libre “guardian” thing from makes them. (I won’t post links. New here, & don’t wish to look like spam. Though I have no affiliation with these “3D printer” guys.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back