Dexcom Rash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerald87

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My son has been using the G7 with no problem since May 2023. When he’s taken off the last few sensors they’ve left a rash on his arm (picture attached). Does anyone have any tips on what we can put on this to help it heal? Its not bothering him but it is really dry.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7830.jpeg
    IMG_7830.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 9
Where can I buy things like that from?
Google is your friend. I'm sure Amazon will sell it. Also https://www.diabeticsupply.co.uk/

It doesn't look like https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/ does (though they sell Skin Glu which one might use to try to avoid such a rash).

As others have said, it's worth asking at a pharmacy who're likely to have some ideas. (Allergic reactions like that aren't uncommon.)

There's a paper I often reference which gives a number of suggestions: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/dia.2018.0080

I take an antihistamine to help with adhesive reactions

Sorry to hear about the adhesive reaction your lad is getting @Emerald87 :(

It does seem that some people can develop reactions to adhesives after a while. Good that it isn’t painful so far.

I think when people had reactions to Libre sensors in the early years, some used barrier films I think (with a little hole punched in them for the filament to fire through).

The only thing I’ve had a reaction to were the overtapes for Medtronic Enlites (or G3s?). I was just able to use different tapes to keep them in place.

Hope you are able to find a method to reduce the reaction before it gets too fiery

When the glue was changed on the G6, I had bad skin reactions and was prescribed a spray to use before applying the sensor which helped. I think the glue has changed again as I don’t get the same reactions now. Good luck.

My son has been using the G7 with no problem since May 2023. When he’s taken off the last few sensors they’ve left a rash on his arm (picture attached). Does anyone have any tips on what we can put on this to help it heal? Its not bothering him but it is really dry.

Thanks
I had exactly same thing with Dexcom one (no problems before and also using it since May 23). I moved site of CGM so made sure I wasn’t putting it back on same area but haven’t actually treated it as such. E45 cream (often used for eczema) sounds like a good idea. It is found in Boots etc and doesn’t need a prescription. My rash seems to have mainly cleared up with time - about a month- so may just be a bad batch of adhesive (fingers crossed). Hope it gets better soon

I used to have rashes some time after a Libre sensor was removed. My surgery presribed barrier wipes to use before application. This seemed to solve the problem, but....

After many months I twigged the rash was being caused by the residue of the adhesive after I took a sensor off.

Simple solution - I now thoroughly wipe my skin with cotton wool dabbed in surgical spirit after removing a sensor. Works 100% by getting rid of the adhesive. Surgical spirit is easily obtainable at Boots, Superdrug etc

Hope this helps

Andrew

@Jdth3000 - I wouldn't suggest surgical spirit applied to the skin for anyone cos when I was little I remember a lady (was it Barbara someone?) (Yeah, Dr Barbara Moore in 1959) who walked the whole length of the UK mainland telling the world that she didn't get blisters because she'd deliberately hardened the skin on her heels with surgical spirit and castigated my mum for not knowing that when I was 6-ish when my new winter shoes repeatedly and very painfully blistered both my heels. (Of course you can't have winter shoes with a strap - don't be silly - your socks and feet would just get wringing wet when you had to walk in the rain and you know very well you can only ever have one pair of shoes, you're so much heavier on shoes than your sister blah blah - though having said that they had to be Clarks and you absolutely had to have your feet measured plus of course that X-ray machine that got banned eventually)
So definitely not on a child's arm!
When it's just adhesive residue on the skin. much gentler and less of a pong to use a bit of Vaseline or in fact anything to hand that's a bit creamy, or even greasy. Doesn't need gallons of anything - just put it straight on top of the residue and leave it for a few minutes, then wipe it off again, with warm water on a bit of a face flannel. If you use any oil for culinary purposes, a drop of oil on the pad of one finger would suffice - in which case a bit of soap on that flannel too, I'd think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back