Dexcom one on Fitbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks to someone kind on the forum making sure unused supplies don’t go to waste I’m now using dexcom one. It’s very accurate and I’m perfectly happy with it.

I had a bad BG experience last night, was playing in a concert and we had a 2hr rehearsal in the afternoon, tea break, then the concert. BG was ok in the rehearsal but dropping lower than I like it to be for concerts by the end (low 5s). I like to be 7-10 before concerts, certainly no lower than 6 and would have fast acting carbs if getting to that level. I just don’t want the worry of a 15 minute+ recovery period in a concert especially if I have a solo coming up.

I don’t get my phone out in concerts, though I do have it in my pocket on silent just in case. With 4.5hrs of not being able to get bg above 5 yesterday, during the concert and with a large amount of carbs, I decided to see if I could get bg on my Fitbit so I could just discreetly check that in the next concert.

And I did, easily. I have the dexcom one app on my iPhone already, I downloaded the Shuggah app and connected that to the dexcom one and set the Shuggah app to take readings from the Dexcom one. I then set up a new calendar in the calendar app on my phone called BGs and set the Shuggah app to create calendar events for bgs.

The result is that if I go into the agenda app on my Fitbit charge 4, I see my bg and trend arrow along with the delta (change since last reading). Its not a substitute for the app, I don’t see the graph, and sometimes there’s a bit of a lag or I’ll open the agenda and it will then say “updating” and a couple of seconds later the latest bg will appear, but it does the job. I can check my watch more discreetly whenever I need to.

Attachments

• 27B23CBD-0BE3-47C1-BB34-02C8D675B09D.jpeg
    27B23CBD-0BE3-47C1-BB34-02C8D675B09D.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6367.jpeg
    IMG_6367.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Glad you've got that sorted and that it's going to be useful for your next concert 🙂

I do similar with my Garmin watch (with XDrip+libre though) and I do find it very convenient, even if I also suffer from occasional drop-outs and delays. I've decided it's probably better to look at your watch rather than your phone in meetings, but I still don't want people to get the wrong idea. I suppose clock-watching is a marginally better "look" than ignoring the speaker because you're on your phone 😉

I can also display mine on my Garmin bike computer, which is useful while riding to save faffing around with gloves/sleeves to see my watch.

I also find it's moderately useful having the value on your wrist while driving, though there's quite a change in focal distance required and requires an odd wrist position, perhaps I should select a screen with larger numbers while I'm driving. Actually being able to display blood glucose on a HUD (Head Up Display - which you can get in some modern cars, so not mine!) would be great, though I don't see much likelihood of those accepting arbitrary external data for the foreseeable future, which is a shame.

Yes it feels a bit more acceptable to check your watch than phone, as a bit more discreet. The next concert will be about 2hrs long without a break so wanted to be able to check bg then. Watch means one shuffle of my sleeve and one tap of the screen to wake it. Phone would be fishing it out of pocket, PIN code or Face ID, etc.

I have a Fitbit Sense and you can install a Glance watchface to show your Dexcom readings (I have used it with a G6 and G7):

It takes the readings from the Follow app so you need a data connection and it can be a bit "laggy". The watchface does indicate though when the last reading was received.

I have a Fitbit Sense and you can install a Glance watchface to show your Dexcom readings (I have used it with a G6 and G7):

It takes the readings from the Follow app so you need a data connection and it can be a bit "laggy". The watchface does indicate though when the last reading was received.
Thanks. That sounds good but wasn’t an option for dexcom one (doesn’t support the follow app) or Fitbit charge 4, so thought I’d share the alternative with that combination.

“Glance is compatible with Fitbit smartwatchs that includes the Fitbit Sense, Versa 3, Versa 2, Versa,Versa lite, and Ionic.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back