Dexcom One - First Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit.kendal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hi, collected and fitted my starter kit today, sensor and transmitter free on NHS as type 3c (treated as type 1). Went for a walk to Asda after tea and my reading dropped suddenly so used emergency rations. I felt okay but reading kept dropping to 2.2. On arriving home, my meter read my BG between 3 and 4 points higher than the Dexcom for the rest of the evening. Has anyone else experienced the same? Could it be a faulty sensor or is the Dexcom not all it's cracked up to be?

I would wait until after a the first day to form and opinion of it it could like other sensors like other sensors take some time to sellte down that's just a thorough as I'm on it myself at the moment

First 24 hrs often dodgy on any cgm, and same with dexcom. Day 2 onwards with dexcom g6 is normally v accurate

Thanks for those comments. Yes, it has settled down this morning, within 0.7/0.8 on first 2 readings today. I might even switch the alerts back on!

Many of us apply our sensor the night before we intend to activate it, to give it time to settle before we start using it. I am not sure if this is possible with the Dexcom using a transmitter, but I guess you don't need to apply the transmitter to the sensor until you are ready to activate it and then just swap it from the old sensor to the new one when it has had a day of bedding in and the old expires.

Many of us apply our sensor the night before we intend to activate it, to give it time to settle before we start using it. I am not sure if this is possible with the Dexcom using a transmitter, but I guess you don't need to apply the transmitter to the sensor until you are ready to activate it and then just swap it from the old sensor to the new one when it has had a day of bedding in and the old expires.
I don't know about the Dexcom One but all CGMs I have used with a separate transmitter, this is not really possible - the sensor with the transmitter holder is very "spiky" where the transmitter grips are. I cannot put clothes over it without them catching and, potentially, ripping out the (unused) sensor.
It's a nice idea and something I have considered and tried once.

Many thanks Barbara; with the Dexcom One, the sensor takes 2 hours to warm up after the transmitter has been clicked in and paired, but to change it late evening makes good sense, instead of faffing around for 2 hours during the day, and will give it time to settle down for the next day.

Did you manage to get the dexcom one quite easily? I have been trying to change from the libre 2 to dexcom one for months without any success.

Yes, very easily from my DSN at the hospital. Discussed at 3-monthly review and received a week later. Different Health Trusts probably rolling it out with a different timescales, maybe to patients without a CGM first, and maybe with priority over General Practice? I was in hospital 6 months ago with DKA, having had pancreatitis in Nov 2018, and my HbA1c, although coming down, is still quite high, so maybe they thought it would benefit me to have one sooner.
Hope you manage to get one soon. Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back