Dexcom G7 vs Libre 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsrpm64

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had posted earlier about my insurance now supporting true CGM products instead of just Flash FGM products. I have been on the Freestyle Libre 2 for almost two years but wanted to try the Dexcom G7 as the Libre 3 is approved but not yet available in pharmacies in Canada.

So last month I got a 1 month supply of the Dexcom G7 sensors. Love the accuracy and the ease of use. It is hard to beat but.....

in the morning I record 3 items. Dosage of Long Term Insulin (Tresiba) Dosage of short term insulin (NovoRapid) and carbs for my morning meal. With the Dexcom app I have to enter each separately, and save the entry separately. With the Libre 2 app I add a note and check off Short term, Long term and carbs and enter all three values in one go and hit save. It is a little thing but why does Dexcom force three separate entries?

Also. I need a huge dose of long term. Over 100 units each day, and the Dexcom app caps the amount at 100 units. so to record my longer term dosage I actually have to enter and save 2 values to total up to the single correct dosage

And for short term, it does not happen often but my insulin to carb ratio is 1:3 so if I over indulge on any given meal, going over 150 grams of carbs, I need a short term dosage of over 50 units, and again, Dexcom caps the max entry value at 50 units so to cover that I need to record 2 entries for a single large dose.

This might seem minor but Diabetes is a slog. day in day out and rather than make data entry easy the Dexcom app is making it harder. Can't wait for the Libre 3 and its true CGM abilities so I can go back to the app that makes my diabetic life easier instead of harder

Do you not have Libre 2 as full CGM in Canada yet? We do here in the UK. The app was upgraded in the summer although there were a lot of IT hiccups involved in the update! 🙄But running pretty smoothly for most people here now.
Others here had mentioned about the ability to input data with Libre being easier and more comprehensive than Dexcom, but like you most people who have tried it find the Dexcom more "accurate"
Personally, Libre works really well for me, is very reliable and usually fairly consistently about 1mmol lower than finger pricks which I find perfectly reasonable to work with.

Out of curiosity, do they have you on Metformin as well as insulin to help with your insulin resistance and do you split your large doses between 2 or more sites? I worry about my basal dose being a bit large at 22 units, so I split it into 2x jabs of 11 units, one into each buttock each morning before I get out of bed. I find I get better and more consistent absorption and I believe it is less trauma to each site injecting smaller quantities into them.
Just something to consider if you haven't already.

Libre 3 isn't widely available here yet but it is in other parts of Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back