Dexcom G7 - use of 12hr grace period

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlevoice359

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
I started using the Dexcom G7 a little over 6 months ago. In general I have been very pleased with the accuracy and reliability of the sensors. I have found, though, that the sensor readings can be quite noisy during the first 24 hours.

To lessen the impact of this, I have taken advantage of the 12 hour grace period which the G7 allows. The way this grace period works is that the sensor will still provide readings for up to 12 hours after it has expired.

So, when the Dexcom app tells me the current sensor has expired, I apply the new sensor but I do not activate it until the grace period for the current sensor has ended.

This effectively halves the time during which the readings are noisy after starting the new sensor. It also means there is no gap in readings.

The only downside to this approach is that Dexcom Clarity shows a double set of readings for the 12 hours when both sensors are attached.

As ever, I hope the above information makes sense and is helpful.

PS: The new sensor is activated using the ‘Replace sensor’ feature in the Dexcom app.

Last edited:
What a good idea. Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.

I find my G7 readings very accurate from the start (unlike Libre 2). However, I do have gap-less sensor use as I always put my new sensor in for the last half hour of the old sensor use. I love the way it counts down the warm-up 30 mins from the moment it’s inserted.

I started using the Dexcom G7 a little over 6 months ago. In general I have been very pleased with the accuracy and reliability of the sensors. I have found, though, that the sensor readings can be quite noisy during the first 24 hours.

To lessen the impact of this, I have taken advantage of the 12 hour grace period which the G7 allows. The way this grace period works is that the sensor will still provide readings for up to 12 hours after it has expired.

So, when the Dexcom app tells me the current sensor has expired, I apply the new sensor but I do not activate it until the grace period for the current sensor has ended.

This effectively halves the time during which the readings are noisy after starting the new sensor. It also means there is no gap in readings.

The only downside to this approach is that Dexcom Clarity shows a double set of readings for the 12 hours when both sensors are attached.

As ever, I hope the above information makes sense and is helpful.

PS: The new sensor is activated using the ‘Replace sensor’ feature in the Dexcom app.
Out of interest do you know why/how the new device settles down if it hasn't been activated yet?
It sounds like it is already transmitting if you see two lines in clarity so what does the activation actually do?

I'm in about my 4th Dexcomm G7 device and it's been great for me. Really close on calibrations. Although I don't like the app as much as the libre version when it comes to charting a tiny bit more detail on food then just carb levels

The G7 activates (as in, warms up and starts collecting data) as soon as it is inserted. What sometimes causes the data to be a little noisy during the first 12-24hrs is, I think, due to the body's immune system taking exception to what it views as a foreign object.

The action 'Start Sensor' in the Dexcom app breaks the bluetooth connection, if any, with the current sensor and connects instead to the new sensor. In the case where the new sensor has been in place and collecting data for a period of time, the Dexcom app will read that data and upload it to Clarity. This is what causes two lines in the graph. I hope I am explaining that ok?

Like you, I also find the G7 very accurate and, like you, I do not like the app very much. For a company that makes so much money off of these devices, they could do with investing more energy into the software. But, I have been able to wrestle it sufficiently into submission that it is does what I need.

In the past 9 months, I have had 3 dud sensors which Dexcom have replaced. The most recent (yesterday) was very odd in that the sensor refused to pair with BlueTooth on my iPhone. I think the electronics in the unit is at fault, though I am puzzled as to how that type of fault slipped through Dexcom quality control.

Got it, thank you, yes all clear.
They don't quite have the market cornered given libre is out there too, but sure feels like they're not trying that hard in fine areas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back