Dexcom G7 is now on sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had an email today to let me know the G7 is available. It's also cheaper than the G6 🙂

I wonder how the cost compares for the NHS and whether it means there’s more of a cost comparison with a Libre… We’ll be asking at our next clinic for sure.

I wonder how the cost compares for the NHS and whether it means there’s more of a cost comparison with a Libre… We’ll be asking at our next clinic for sure.
I believe that the dexcom one is the only dexcom product that the NHS can get at a comparable price to the libre .

I'd assume it would be a replacement for the G6 rather than the Dexcom One. So the lower cost (presuming the NHS gets it at a lower price than it gets the G6) would maybe lower the bar a bit for it rather than being an equivalently priced alternative to the Libre.

Here's a link to the prices
So £100 a month for the One, £160 for the G6, and £140 for the G7. (Rounding and simplifying a bit: looks like they're selling the One three months at a time and the other prices probably require a subscription.)

Presuming the NHS costs relate in the same way, I think I'd still guess the G7 will be the natural replacement for the G6, with the One staying as what GPs can offer as an alternative to Libre.

So £100 a month for the One, £160 for the G6, and £140 for the G7. (Rounding and simplifying a bit: looks like they're selling the One three months at a time and the other prices probably require a subscription.)

Presuming the NHS costs relate in the same way, I think I'd still guess the G7 will be the natural replacement for the G6, with the One staying as what GPs can offer as an alternative to Libre.
So as of today I can visit Dexcom's website and buy the Dexcom G7 as a UK consumer.

But I cannot visit Abbott's website and buy its equivalent product: the Freestyle Libre 3.

Despite the fact that both products are clearly destined to be component parts of the NHS drive to introduce "automated insulin delivery devices" or "closed loops."

So why isn't the Freestyle Libre 3 as free to buy in the UK as the Dexcom G7?

The current issue with our paeds team is the clinical benefit of G6 vs One because of the alarms being able to be shared with parents as well as the ability to cut down on hypos so it’s going through the hospital funding approval instead of GP funding. We keep being told it should be approved but it always takes time to go through the various committees. With G7 being cheaper that may then make it a good argument to use than and not the G6 for children.

Despite the fact that both products are clearly destined to be component parts of the NHS drive to introduce "automated insulin delivery devices" or "closed loops."
As I understand it, Libre 3 isn't going to be part of that. (I may be mistaken, of course, but I think it's not approved for such use currently.)

Libre 3 does have an anomalous place in things. It's presumably about the same cost as Dexcom One but can't be prescribed by GPs, for example. I presume there are reasons for all this, but I'd also guess it'll be resolved in the obvious ways in the future (Libre 3 will be sold, and will be prescribed alongside Libre 2 and Dexcom One).

As I understand it, Libre 3 isn't going to be part of that. (I may be mistaken, of course, but I think it's not approved for such use currently.)

Libre 3 does have an anomalous place in things. It's presumably about the same cost as Dexcom One but can't be prescribed by GPs, for example. I presume there are reasons for all this, but I'd also guess it'll be resolved in the obvious ways in the future (Libre 3 will be sold, and will be prescribed alongside Libre 2 and Dexcom One).
I had a meeting with my consultant three weeks ago. They confirmed that as far as they were aware the Freestyle Libre 3 was definitely going to be part of the whole automated insulin delivery/closed loops landscape.

I've even had conversations with one of the pump manufacturers afterwards who was kind enough to confirm that they continue to work with Abbott on AID/closed loops.

I assume Abbott still need to resolve the wrinkle they have where their sensors may give unusual readings if a user has consumed more than 500mg (?) of vitamin C per day.

It appears patients might be being told contradictory things and no one - except NHS England - knows for sure what's going on.

My consultant wasn't 100% sure, but they believe the price the NHS is paying for each Libre 3 sensor is (slightly) more than the cost of the Libre 1 and Libre 2 sensors (which I understand is £35 per sensor).

The consultant said as the Libre 1 is being discontinued by December 2022, it is possible that our ICB might approve the Libre 3 for prescription provided the cost isn't that much more than the Libre 1 and Libre 2. A decision by our ICB on future prescribing by GPs of flash and real time glucose monitors is imminent, apparently.

But, as always, these things seem subject to the infamous NHS postcode lottery. And money. Always about the money.

Interesting that the newer shinier G7 has launched at a lower price point.

And also a bit frustrating if your closed loop works with the older more expensive version… that you are continuing to self-fund while your pump clinic appointment comes round.

Interesting that the newer shinier G7 has launched at a lower price point.
It is. I guess it's because bundling in the transmitter lowers the cost a bit. I also presume they'll anticipate selling more. I wonder if the Dexcom One will go the same way (losing the separate transmitter).

If it’s not closed loop it won’t benefit as many children as it claims. And the multi alarms for parents too is so important. Did they think about these things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back