Dexcom g6 via libre 2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxley 83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 on 1st November 2021 after suffering a DKA at the age 38. My sugar levels were 39 and ketones 6.9.
However I was given the libre 2 sensor and was okay, but recently have been suffering hypos without noticing, so my consultant has requested me to have the Dexcom G6. Also I am perimenopause aged 40. Thought I would mention that if it makes a difference to the symptoms. Would appreciate people's opinions on which technologies is better. TIA

Dexcom is great, I’d go for that if offered it. Sorry to hear about the hypo unawareness, have you tried running higher bg levels as that can help bring awareness back? If you drive have you advised the dvla as you’d usually lose your licence for hypo unawareness.

Get the Dexcom G7 if you can. I have it @Foxley 83 and it’s brilliant. Much more accurate than the Libre and you can calibrate it if needed. The G7 is tiny and the transmitter is built in so no fiddling about with it. It also has a very quick 30 minute sensor warm-up time, which basically reduces down to zero if you overlap the sensors. I’ve found it fantastic.

Am on g6 and its a lot more accurate for me than libre was, and no more 'scanning' myself

Dexcom G6 is great for accuracy and the number of different alarms you can set for going hypo is super helpful.

Sorry to derail a bit but @Tdm and @Inka . how long did it take for you to hear that you got funding to getting your first G6/G7 sensor?

@Lily123 I don’t remember exactly but very quick - a couple of weeks or so 🙂 Dexcom were very quick to contact me too and to courier the supplies to me. Can’t fault them.

Thank you everyone for your comments, but I still still don't really understand how the Dexcom G6 is different from the libre 2 sensor ? Can anyone please explain to me.

Thank you everyone for your comments, but I still still don't really understand how the Dexcom G6 is different from the libre 2 sensor ? Can anyone please explain to me.
They're manufactured [edit: stupid autocomplete!] by different companies, so the glue is different. Dexcom has been at this longer and the G6 is more expensive and provides fancier software, allowing calibration with test strips, sending readings and alarms to other people, more elaborate alarms. G6 is also approved for use with pumps up to hybrid closed loop systems.

More basically, Libre 2 needs to be scanned whereas G6 just sends its readings. G6 sensors last for (up to) 10 days each; Libre 2 are 14 days. G6 also need a transmitter which attaches to the sensor, and those last for 3 months each.

Last edited:

The Dexcom is more accurate.
You can calibrate it (ie fingerprick, enter that reading and the Dexcom will adjust itself to be even more accurate)
It has an Urgent Low warning (as well as a normal Low warning) that warns you you’ll drop below 3.1 within 20 mins if you don’t have some glucose/carbs.
You don’t have to scan it - it’s using Bluetooth to read your blood sugar the whole time.

I had the Libre 2 but was swapped to the Dexcom G7 for similar reasons (perimenopause) and the Dexcom is much better. Do note though that I have the G7, which is the latest model, and not the G6. However, most Dexcom users here have the G6 and seem very happy with it.

I think you’re asking basically why it’s worth swapping to the Dexcom when they seem similar? Well, they’re not really that similar (see above) and the Dexcom is far more accurate in my experience @Foxley 83 which will help you avoid hypos, see places where you can adjust things to get less hypos, trust the reading without having to fingerprick too, be more confident in your daily life, to name but a few advantages.

I trust dexcom in a way i never trusted libre. Dexcom g6 does have some disadvantages- 2 hr warm up, only 10 days so its not possible to always change at weekends like you can libre, bulkier, more medical looking. Also the stats are easier to get at and more straightforward with libre. With dexcom you have to go into reports to see % time in range, with libre its on the graph screen
It also only reports readings every 5 mins which i though would be more of a drawback than it is.
I still do fingerpricks but tend to trust dexcom, even with lows. Unlike libre, dexcom does not tend to overestimate lows and highs. I used to get many times when a scan was well off the graph line.

Not sure how long it look to get g6, had to chase a couple of times.
I bought a months supply and double sensored for a couple of weeks, so i went to the team with figures...cheifly libre was giving me repeated overnight lows which dexcom didn't.

I would just like to say that I have never tried Dexcom, but the Libre is very reliable and accurate for me. I use the Libre 2 reader which has less issues with software than the phone app. It works brilliantly for me to the point that I very rarely need to do a finger prick. Yes, I have to scan to get m readings compared to Dexcom sending them automatically, but I don't find this a problem or inconvenience and for me a massive improvement on finger pricking, so I am a very happy Libre user. It probably helps that I am a tech dinosaur so the Libre with the reader is as much tech as my little mind wants to deal with.
I think it is also important to note that body chemistry is different between individuals so the Libre system may suit some people better than others and similarly, the Dexcom may be better choice for others. You have to find what works for you.... bearing in mind that both may not be currently offered in your area.

I trust dexcom in a way i never trusted libre. Dexcom g6 does have some disadvantages- 2 hr warm up, only 10 days so its not possible to always change at weekends like you can libre, bulkier, more medical looking. Also the stats are easier to get at and more straightforward with libre. With dexcom you have to go into reports to see % time in range, with libre its on the graph screen
It also only reports readings every 5 mins which i though would be more of a drawback than it is.
I still do fingerpricks but tend to trust dexcom, even with lows. Unlike libre, dexcom does not tend to overestimate lows and highs. I used to get many times when a scan was well off the graph line.

Not sure how long it look to get g6, had to chase a couple of times.
I bought a months supply and double sensored for a couple of weeks, so i went to the team with figures...cheifly libre was giving me repeated overnight lows which dexcom didn't.

Have you been offered the G7 @Tdm ? A sensor warm up time of 30 mins which you can actually reduce to zero (because the sensor starts counting the minute it’s in your arm ie before you start it), which means you always have a CGM working with no gap.

It also has a 12 hour grace period when your sensor ends, so if it ends at, say, 11am and you’re out for the day, you have an extra grace period up to 11pm to change it. I find this very useful.

It’s also amazingly small and very low profile against the skin compared to the Libre 2 and G6, even though it has a built-in transmitter.

@Foxley 83 If you do decide to go with the Dexcom, it would be worth seeing if you could get the G7 instead. If you don’t like the Dexcom, it should be easy to swap back to Libre, so I can’t see any reason why you should refuse it. Give it a go. I hope you find it as great as I do.

They're manufactured [edit: stupid autocomplete!] by different companies, so the glue is different. Dexcom has been at this longer and the G6 is more expensive and provides fancier software, allowing calibration with test strips, sending readings and alarms to other people, more elaborate alarms. G6 is also approved for use with pumps up to hybrid closed loop systems.

More basically, Libre 2 needs to be scanned whereas G6 just sends its readings. G6 sensors last for (up to) 10 days each; Libre 2 are 14 days. G6 also need a transmitter which attaches to the sensor, and those last for 3 months each.
Thank you

I have tried both Libre and Dexcom.
I found Libre most accurate for me.
The Dexcom app is more basic and supported on fewer phones.
I think this is another area where we are all different with different bodies, different phones and different requirements.
My understanding Dexcom One is available in the same category as Libre. Dexcom G6 and G7 are less likely to be prescribed.
Dexcom One is cheaper with less capabilities such as follower app and maybe calibration.
But it does use Bluetooth so no need for scanning (or hacking to use unofficial apps) to make a it CGM.

If you are self funding, I recommend trying the Libre using the free trial.
It may provide what you need and suit your body/phone.

If you are entitled one on the NHS (treated with insulin), talk to your GP and/or DSN to find out what they will provide.

Have you been offered the G7 @Tdm ? A sensor warm up time of 30 mins which you can actually reduce to zero (because the sensor starts counting the minute it’s in your arm ie before you start it), which means you always have a CGM working with no gap.

It also has a 12 hour grace period when your sensor ends, so if it ends at, say, 11am and you’re out for the day, you have an extra grace period up to 11pm to change it. I find this very useful.

It’s also amazingly small and very low profile against the skin compared to the Libre 2 and G6, even though it has a built-in transmitter.

@Foxley 83 If you do decide to go with the Dexcom, it would be worth seeing if you could get the G7 instead. If you don’t like the Dexcom, it should be easy to swap back to Libre, so I can’t see any reason why you should refuse it. Give it a go. I hope you find it as great as I do.
Yes the g7 would be brill, but, to be honest, i'm just grateful not to be woken up with repeated false lows. Had the libre 3 been available i would have tried that in preference.
Whilst the dexcom app does have a limited number of official phones, you can get around that

I have tried both Libre and Dexcom.
I found Libre most accurate for me.
The Dexcom app is more basic and supported on fewer phones.
I think this is another area where we are all different with different bodies, different phones and different requirements.
My understanding Dexcom One is available in the same category as Libre. Dexcom G6 and G7 are less likely to be prescribed.
Dexcom One is cheaper with less capabilities such as follower app and maybe calibration.
But it does use Bluetooth so no need for scanning (or hacking to use unofficial apps) to make a it CGM.

If you are self funding, I recommend trying the Libre using the free trial.
It may provide what you need and suit your body/phone.

If you are entitled one on the NHS (treated with insulin), talk to your GP and/or DSN to find out what they will provide.
@helli , may I ask which Dexcom(s) have you tried?

G4 and G6.
Thanks. I hadn't appreciated that the G6 app was more basic than Libre 2 (you know I'm somewhat underwhelmed by Libre 2 functionality). We're there any noticeable shortcomings with G6, other than you finding Dexcom less accurate? But presumably G6 can be calibrated.

I now have Dexcom One, but not fitted that yet. There's been a farce within my ICS not providing sensors, just transmitters on their Formularly. Was finally resolved at the end of last week. If that doesn't meet my needs I'm going to see if I can self-fund G6 or 7, even if intermittently, to try and get a better grip on my erratic BGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back