Dexcom g6 on a smartwatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Do you have a smartwatch set up to show your blood sugars? How easy was this to set up? Is it easier with an iphone? Did you use any software other than phone, g6 and possibly a watchface app? How useful is it?
I don't normally wear a watch, but i like the idea of checking them on a watch...can i do this without pressing buttons? (cos if you have to faff may as well just get phone out)
I ask because i tried with a samsung phone, the build your own dexcom app, a watchface app and a samsung watch and got nowhere.
It may have been the options i selected when i built the dexcom app. I watched so msny utube tutorials but, sadly, without sucess. I no longer have the watch.
When i get a new phone i will try to get one that works with the official app, but i would like to give getting it to display on a watch another try.

Do you have a smartwatch set up to show your blood sugars? How easy was this to set up? Is it easier with an iphone?
I do, and it wasn't that easy (needed side loading on both the phone and the watch) and I suspect it would be even more awkward on an iPhone. Though that's all because I'm using a Libre 2.

For someone using a Dexcom G6 it ought to be very easy on an iPhone and Apple Watch. I'm less sure about Android but I'd guess on a supported Samsung phone and a Samsung watch it would be reasonably straightforward.
How useful is it?
That's harder to say, I think. I find the alarms much better: I configure them to vibrate only (so they're not so jarring) and having my watch vibrate is nice and obvious even when I'm asleep. (However, it may be that that kind of configuration isn't possible with the standard Dexcom software.)

I find checking my BG at night more convenient (I just tap my watch) but that's marginal (I keep my phone on my pillow too and can just tap it).

I'm not sure how much value it has. I'm OK with spending the money (to get a watch that worked) and spending the time to get it all to work (I found it interesting) but I'm not sure I'd recommend the whole thing to someone short of money or not interested in fiddling. On the other hand, G6 ought to be much easier (and Apple Watches are better value than Android ones) so those change the calculation.
can i do this without pressing buttons?
Yes, I think that's the usual set up. During the day I usually have the watch display always on and it shows the BG with an arrow, and at night (and sometimes in the day if the battery seems to be going a bit low) I have the display off but it turns on just with a tap. (I'm sure there are ways to have it so that one needs to do something more complicated but I can't imagine those would be popular.)

The standard Dexcom app, when installed on an iPhone will install a companion app on the Apple Watch. However, in my experience, the Apple Watch app is sometimes very slow to update. It became so annoying to me that I installed an app called Sugarmate on my MacMini, which connects to my Dexcom Clarity account and updates my Apple Calendar every 5 minutes with an entry showing my blood sugar. On my Apple Watch I configured a watch face with a complication that shows that calendar entry. If I tap on the blood glucose the watch opens up the entry so that it is a little easier to read. See example images below/attached.

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 07.51.59.png

PS: You can run the Sugarmate app on the iPhone also. I just chose to run it on my MacMini because that is my office computer which I leave running all the time. Also, the iPhone app seemed to use a lot of the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back