1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Dexcom G6 general advice

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by little fawn, Nov 9, 2019 at 1:19 PM.

1. little fawn

little fawn New Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    I am currently using Freestyle Libre. However, there are no alarms to make me aware when my blood sugar is rising too high or more importantly falling too low!! As I do have a lot of hypos through the night I don't sleep easy as I am constantly worrying I might be dipping too low.
    I believe Dexcom G6 has alarms which can be set to avoid these incidents through the night. I am willing to fund this myself if it's not available for me on the NHS.
    Is anyone out there using Dexcom G6 who could comment on G6 and let me know if it would help me overcome my nightly hypos and get a sound night's sleep!!!

2. trophywench

trophywench Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hi - what's the Libre telling you about your overnight levels?

Kaylz likes this.
  3. Kaylz

Kaylz Well-Known Member

Type 1
    If your going hypo during the night you should be able to see a pattern and adjust basal as best you can to stop it, yes it may have alarms but the lows are still going to happen so stopping the lows in the first place would be my main priority by making adjustments xx

4. Pumper_Sue

Pumper_Sue Well-Known Member

Type 1
    The G6 does rather like to alarm an awful lot unfortunately. So far I have had 4/10 faulty sensors which have been replaced. I certainly would never use the sensors to make any clinical decision and would never ever incorporate the G6 with a closed loop pump.

Other users have had great success with the G6 so it's great if it works for you, not so good if it doesn't.

5. m1dnc

m1dnc Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I have tried Libre, Medtronic Enlite, Medtronic Guardian 3 and the Dexcom G6, and have found the G6 to be far and away the best. For me it is very accurate - rarely more than about 5 % away from a finger test - consistent and easy to use. This week I signed up for a 12-month contract, which shows you how much I appreciate it. Unlike Sue, I am very happy to use it for clinical decisions.

You can tailor the alarms to suit and can adjust alarms on your phone as well. There are a couple that are always on though.

You can buy a starter pack for £159 which includes a transmitter and 3 sensors (3 x 10 days) for a trial

everydayupsanddowns likes this.
  6. Pumper_Sue

Pumper_Sue Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Which is fine as long as you have a compatible phone, otherwise you need a receiver as well.

7. CosmicHedgehog

CosmicHedgehog Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I self fund the G6. It's great. i am hypo unaware at night so i need the alarms too. The g6 has a 'hypo soon' alarm if your blood sugar is dropping to hypo level, so, with that you can eat a buiscit or something and avoid the hypo altogether.. or if you miss that alarm you will get a hypo alarm (under 4mmol) and an urgent hypo alarm (under 3.1) you can choose how often they alarm, i have mine set to alarm every 15 mins for hypos as thats how long you would normally wait after treating to check again, if i'm still hypo it will alarm again. with the direction arrows you can see if you are going back up or need to treat again. it works very simmilar to the libre, its just you dont have to swipe and it has alarms for highs and lows. Occasionally i get a bad sensor but they are very good at replacing them and normally get a new one to you by the next day or so. On the whole the G6 is very very accurate. In my opinionthe g6 is far better than the libre, and of course if it is not being accurate you can calibrate (do a blood finger test and input the correct reading in to the g6 app and it resets to that blood sugar)

8. Lizzzie

Lizzzie Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I have a love-hate relationship with mine. The great thing is that it works for what you want. Going low? Horrible alarm, detected as early as you like, problem solved. My hypo signs have returned

2 The downsides 1) is the constant trace. Mine seem to go up before they go down after food and I find this hard to watch on a screen - in the old days I used to check 4 hours after a meal. Now I watch it go up and squirm a bit while it goes down and I hate that.

I also tend to eat more. Snacking and taking insulin and trying to keep.the trace between the lines can get obsessive. I didn't think I was an obsessive sort but I really have to have words with myself sometimes.

I'm slowly going low carb as a rest of all this, although Im not particularly fat and T1

2) I just feel a bit like a machine. I am not my own person anymore. I take my phone places where I wouldn't have before. I look at my phone more. There is a psychological effect to all this I dislike

Oh yeah and check the list of phones - I had to buy a new one. Luckily I get my dexcom on the n h s (phew!)

9. Jon-Manchester

Jon-Manchester Member

Type 1
    I am a "newbie" to all of this diabetes stuff, but I have been looking into the miaomiao which seems to address these concerns?
    Couldnt you use that with the Libre or am i misreading the miaomiao's capabilities?

Jon

10. Bruce Stephens

Bruce Stephens Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I know what you mean.

I'm finding myself much more relaxed trying to keep to the Time in Range idea (and really just trying to keep to that, with the rather broad range 3.9-10.0), since most of the time I am in that range, so scanning the Libre just confirms that (so scanning gives positive feedback). And sure, sometimes after eating I go a little over, but I'm allowed some of that.

I think my control is no worse (only with fewer hypos), but I guess I'll see what the next HbA1c is, and I feel more relaxed about it.

everydayupsanddowns likes this.