Dexcom G6 and Apple Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendo15

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and my son who is 7 has type 1 and was diagnosed last November . It has been a struggle to come to terms with, but we are finally getting there and adapting. He will be getting the Dexcom G6 next week and we have to take with us the devices we will be using. I have no idea what will be best for his and our needs. I am thinking an Apple Watch for him to see his readings. Can anyone advise me what they use and what would be best for us? I don’t know where to start. Thank you.

Hello @Hendo15 and welcome to the forum.
Your best bet is to have a look on Dexcom's website as it will tell you what is compatible.
It also might be worth seeing and even making sure what you choose is also compatible with the G7 which is now on sale, as obviously at some point the G6 will be withdrawn.

The Apple watch picks up the readings from the Dexcom App on the phone,(as long as it and Apple phone) not from the sensor. The same will apply to the G7, I suspect. So even if the watch is near the sensor, if the phone is more than around 10m from the sensor, no readings will show.

i would think about the phone before thinking of an apple watch. The watch wouldnt work without a phone anyway, so you would be better to see how you both get on with the dexcom first. The dexcom website should tell you what phones are compatible, you'll need a phone that is always with your son, and a data plan or wifi connection at school if you want to see the readings too

I was prescribed the Dexcom G6 a fortnight ago and had to attend a 'Dexcom Workshop', during which the Dexcom rep told me that I'd likely be upgraded to the G7 within 3 to 6 months. He said that as the G7 was considerably cheaper to produce than the G6, the NHS is eager to switch most G6 users over to the G7 A.S.A.P. One of the cool features that the G7 will eventually have is 'direct-to-watch'. Readings will be available on an Apple Watch without the need of a phone or reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back