Dexcom CGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jahdmrs

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Does anyone have experience of the Dexcom One+?
Is it better/same as the Freestyle Libre 2?
Been advised to get one even tho I’m only pre-diabetic.

Does anyone have experience of the Dexcom One+?
Been advised to get one even tho I’m only pre-diabetic.
If you are only prediabetic it is an expensive way of keeping track rather than a finger pick blood glucose monitor.

If you are only prediabetic it is an expensive way of keeping track rather than a finger pick blood glucose monitor.
Thank you, ready appreciate your reply. I realise that it’s not cheap but as my numbers have been continually rising and the doc says I am high risk it’s possibly worth it. I have RA and my fingers have issues with sensitivity which is why I was looking at a CGM.

If you are content to invest in this expensive method of keeping track, as @Leadinglights says above, right now you would be better considering Libre 2 rather than Dexcom One.

Today the Dexcom One is a 2 part system, made up of a 90 day transmitter that gets to be the fixed item on your arm or abdomen with a 10 day sensor that gets clipped on to the transmitter. Once the transmitter is activated its clock is ticking and whether you use 9 sensors each of 10 days or less the transmitter is running down. The Libre 2 is a combined unit that lasts 14 (perhaps now 15) days, then replaced. So the Libre lends itself to perhaps full time use for 3 x fortnights (ie nominally 45 days) then periodic selective monitoring once you've got a better feel for what is going on. Also the Libre 2 is way better than Dexcom One for its logbook and recording of data, with much more reports and analysis built in to the app; so as a monitoring and simple analysis device Libre wins hands down.

Both Libre 2 and Dexcom One need compatible mobile phones, so check that before starting this process.

However, in the very near future, Dexcom are adding to their range of devices a Dexcom One+; I understand this will be replacing the Dexcom One, but so far there is little information about how much improvement has been made to the app and in particular data logging. Also the Dex One+ will be a combined system with each sensor lasting 10 days; this will make it comparable to Libre 2 in terms of system. However a Dexcom Health Care member of staff told me the One+ will only be available from the NHS on prescription and will not be possible to privately purchase. The launch of this is imminent, so things may change; and I would anticipate that the original Dexcom One will disappear.

Finally Libre 2 will be replaced by the Libre 2 Plus any moment now, so a lot of change going on. Presumably the 2 Plus will be a replacement for the Libre 2. Meanwhile starting off with Libre 2 seems to be a predictable start point, with the knowledge that some degree of upgrade is imminent. I am unsighted on future costs; but today Dexcom One and Libre 2 are very close, but Dexcom One locks you into at least a 90 day commitment and I think you could help your financing by having 3 (at most 4) Libre 2s continuously then scale down to one sensor a month and maybe scale further down to one sensor every 2 months. Libre lends itself to this, Dexcom One does not.

I also think either Libre or Dexcom takes a little time to get used to, not so much the wearing of the sensor, but the "friendliness" and "usefulness" of the app. I had a year with Libe 2 and moved to Dexcom One; I found the fairly different apps quite demanding. I subsequently went to Dexcom G7 from Dex One; that was easier but still needed a fair bit of thinking!

Lots to consider before committing, I suggest. Even with CGM you will always need to finger prick periodically; neither device is akin to putting on a well fitted glove! CGMs have limitations, we can point you to these if you can't find them from a forum search. Meanwhile are you already finger pricking? If so, do you do this systematically or just when you remember? You can get a lot of guidance about what your BG is doing from meal to meal just from systematic finger prick tests and you will need this backup anyway, if only to verify your CGM is about right and to check when you get unexpected or erratic CGM results.

Good luck, do keep asking questions.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all that information. I really appreciate the time you’ve taken and the detail that you’ve gone into. I haven’t found anywhere else.
It gives me lots of food for thought and also makes me want to read up more.
I haven’t done any finger picking at all yet as am concerned as to the sensitivity of my fingers as they are. As you suggested maybe I should give that a try.
I have talked to a Dexcom advisor who says that the Dexcom One+ would be a good one for me to use and it’s now available. Also suggested that I didn’t need to do it constantly and sent me a suggested plan via email. No sales pitch either which was refreshing.
I have a compatible phone so the app should be ok.
As you say lots to consider and more research on the Libra I think.
Thank you again 🙂

Last edited:
Depends what you mean by "better" and what your experience is with the Libre.
Some people find Dexcom is more accurate for them but others find Libre is more accurate.
The Dexcom app is supported on far fewer phones and is much more basic than the LibreLink app.

If you have not tried the Libre, I would recommend starting with the Libre free trial available from their website.

I think with your at risk of diabetes diagnosis, the free trial is not available to you. But you might sway this by talking about a longer term commitment to CGM. But I would suggest some experience and understanding of finger prick tests would be sensible first, anyway. Finger pricking does not have to be painful; the lancers vary a lot and do not need any sort of compatibility with the meter. They are just a means of getting a drop of blood. Once that drop of blood is on your finger the cost of test strips is a big influencer as to which test device should be chosen. Each meter needs its own test strips and the profit for the manufacturer is in test strips; the meters are probably loss leading sales to get you using their profitable repeat purchase product - the strips.

I'm pleased that you have had useful help from Dexcom. Can you confirm that you can purchase Dex One+ privately and that the advisor wasn't assuming you would get it on prescription.

If the plan suggests try at least one month with 3 x 10 day sensors consecutively, then use sensors more intermittently that would be my minimum start arrangement if I were in your position. From that start you can get a feel for what you are seeing and how friendly the app and its data is for you. You could, of course, also purchase 2 x Libre sensors (for a month) and compare over successive months, the usefulness FOR YOU. At least you aren't necessarily locked in to a 90 day plan, or longer, for either and so your initial commitment is finite. No doubt you can get a better "deal" from Dexcom by buying in 3 months or quaterly or even annually in advance; but that's a lot to tie up if you don't particularly feel the Dex One+ is actually what you want.

Remember, because each sensor has a fixed life and then is thrown away, you do not have to wear the next sensor straightaway - so you could still spread out the wearing to fit your needs. Just for example some continuous wearing to get used to the concept; then more intermittently with perhaps a specific plan in your calendar to be wearing a sensor when you go on holiday or some event that takes you away from home and away from your own control of several meals while away from home. The CGM will tell you how you did hours after each meal and thus yesterday or the days before. But not how you will do tomorrow; you reflect back and identify meals that your body didn't manage well then make a change (smaller portion, or remove /replace big carb items and try that adjusted meal again.

Thank you. Every bit of information helps me sort out which one to go for 🙂

Depends what you mean by "better" and what your experience is with the Libre.
Some people find Dexcom is more accurate for them but others find Libre is more accurate.
The Dexcom app is supported on far fewer phones and is much more basic than the LibreLink app.

If you have not tried the Libre, I would recommend starting with the Libre free trial available from their website.
Thank you, sounds like doing the free trial is worth a go 🙂

Thank you, sounds like doing the free trial is worth a go 🙂

You don’t qualify for the libre trial as you’ve not been diagnosed with diabetes.IMG_3921.png

I think with your at risk of diabetes diagnosis, the free trial is not available to you. But you might sway this by talking about a longer term commitment to CGM. But I would suggest some experience and understanding of finger prick tests would be sensible first, anyway. Finger pricking does not have to be painful; the lancers vary a lot and do not need any sort of compatibility with the meter. They are just a means of getting a drop of blood. Once that drop of blood is on your finger the cost of test strips is a big influencer as to which test device should be chosen. Each meter needs its own test strips and the profit for the manufacturer is in test strips; the meters are probably loss leading sales to get you using their profitable repeat purchase product - the strips.

I'm pleased that you have had useful help from Dexcom. Can you confirm that you can purchase Dex One+ privately and that the advisor wasn't assuming you would get it on prescription.

If the plan suggests try at least one month with 3 x 10 day sensors consecutively, then use sensors more intermittently that would be my minimum start arrangement if I were in your position. From that start you can get a feel for what you are seeing and how friendly the app and its data is for you. You could, of course, also purchase 2 x Libre sensors (for a month) and compare over successive months, the usefulness FOR YOU. At least you aren't necessarily locked in to a 90 day plan, or longer, for either and so your initial commitment is finite. No doubt you can get a better "deal" from Dexcom by buying in 3 months or quaterly or even annually in advance; but that's a lot to tie up if you don't particularly feel the Dex One+ is actually what you want.

Remember, because each sensor has a fixed life and then is thrown away, you do not have to wear the next sensor straightaway - so you could still spread out the wearing to fit your needs. Just for example some continuous wearing to get used to the concept; then more intermittently with perhaps a specific plan in your calendar to be wearing a sensor when you go on holiday or some event that takes you away from home and away from your own control of several meals while away from home. The CGM will tell you how you did hours after each meal and thus yesterday or the days before. But not how you will do tomorrow; you reflect back and identify meals that your body didn't manage well then make a change (smaller portion, or remove /replace big carb items and try that adjusted meal again.
I can’t thank you enough for all the help. You are right it seems that unless I have a diabetes diagnosis the free trial isn’t available. Dexcom advisor was amazing. She said that they are allowed to sell it privately now. Her advice was very similar to yours about using it intermittently and making a plan that is flexible to me.
I’ve screen shot your message as it’s got so much help in it. Thank you again.
I have found the forum bamboozlying and so full of information it’s difficult to know where to look.
I’m going to go to the docs next week and put all this to her and see what she thinks.
Have a good evening 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back