DEXCOM and incompatible phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigeon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, my clinic have offered to fund a CGM for 12 months as I'm pregnant - I was already using the Libre but the consultant wanted me to use DEXCOM as it's more accurate. I can't have the Guardian sensors that would integrate with my pump, that would be too helpful :(

Anyway, my DEXCOM sensors and transmitter arrived today and I was very excited, until I tried to install the app on my smart phone and found it is not supported. It seems they have a very limited range of Android phones supported and as I have only had my phone a year I am not going to replace it just for this.

A quick google reveals various people use XDrip or similar to read the DEXCOM using their existing phone. But would the clinic then be able to see my data? I wondered if anyone has found a way to make their existing phone work with the DEXCOM app? Various hacks seem to be out there but often the links don't work or the info is quite dated. Has anyone had success recently?

I have emailed to ask for a receiver to be sent but the request has to come from the clinic and so it's another level of bureaucracy....

Any pointers would be appreciated, thank you!

I think a common use case for xDrip is similar to yours - the list of compatible phones for DexCom is too small.
There are a few mechanisms for sharing xDrip data but it depends what your diabetes teams are willing to accept.
It is not something I have done but options seem to include TidePool and NightScout.

Hi,

Congratulations on your pregnancy 🙂

We recently started using a G6 CGM for our daughter, and had the same problems with the phone compatibility as we both have Huawei P30 Pro's.
We have the receiver unit, but the clarity website won't see the downloader software on our laptop to upload data, so it's no real use other than seeing current levels. I tried installing the xdrip+ software on my phone and linked it to the G6 transmitter. It worked in so far as I could see the graphical display, but I could never get it to upload the data anywhere.
In the end, we gave up with it and just brought a cheap P20 Pro phone from a Facebook selling page, and that works fine.

Hopefully you'll get the funding for the receiver unit, or someone more knowledgeable will let you know how to upload to clarity from xdrip+ 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back