Dexcom 6 CMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenks21

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just trying out the Dexcom 6 continuous Glucose Monitoring sensors - does anybody have experience as to how reliable these are or any other problems.

I trialed a couple of DexCom sensors last year.
I know it is considered more reliable and accurate than the cheaper Libre option. Unfortunately this was not the case for me. It was also bulkier than the Libre, I found the app very limited in functionality and I was very disappointed by the amount of non-recyclable plastic in the applicator so decided not to change from Libre.
I think it just goes to show another way that we are all different.
Let us know how you get on.

Some sensors are fine and others not.
It's way out on the lower numbers as well as the high numbers.

That comment applies to Libre 2 as well, it seems to be a problem with the Libre 2 sensor. It was nowhere near as bad with Libre 1. I’m going to do a comparative run, wearing a Libre sensor and the Dexcom 6 simultaneously, with BG readings as referee.

We’ve found them to be way more accurate than Libre (although we only had Libre 1 not 2), to the point where we hardly do any finger pricks any more, and the few that we do do as a comparison are almost always with 0.2 of the sensor (the only one that wasn’t was when she was dropping rapidly and then it was about 2 out but that’s understandable in that case because of the lag). We’ve got them because they are compatible with my daughter’s new pump so work together to cut off insulin delivery if she’s low (and we’re just about to upgrade it so that it will increase insulin when she’s high too). The system works great for us but as with anything, everyone is different!

Hi, I’ve been using the G6 for two years. I measure the success based on the reduction in HbA1c which in my case has shown a 25% improvement. Also, I’ve not had a nighttime hypo since using the G6 which is reassuring. Downsides are, the two hour ‘dead’ period between changing sensors and the outrageous £190 monthly price tag.

That comment applies to Libre 2 as well, it seems to be a problem with the Libre 2 sensor. It was nowhere near as bad with Libre 1. I’m going to do a comparative run, wearing a Libre sensor and the Dexcom 6 simultaneously, with BG readings as referee.
Bear in mind you are only comparing one Libre sensor with one Dexcom sensor and, as others have said, sensors vary.

Also will add the first 24 hours are normally a write off as far as accuracy is concerned, imho it should not be marketed as a 10 day sensor.
I use mine for a general view of what's going on but would never trust it for bolus or correction without a finger poke.

Hi I’ve been using Dexcom cgm for over 10 years from seven plus, G4 and G6. For me they work really well and accurate enough to dose insulin. I tried 2 libre 1 sensors and found read consistently lower, and were uncomfortable plus stuck like limpets to my skin. Monthly subscription is £159, self funded as makes my diabetes easier to manage, sleep better. Sensors work well when got a fat layer to go into in my experience!

Many thanks for all your replies which are most useful. My experience so far is that the low readings are off and too low when compared with a blood finger test. I totally agree with the horrendous packing waste and when I challenged Dexcom they said because a needle is involved nothing can be recycled - which of course is ridiculous as with a bit of design innovation it could be easily altered. My main reason for trailing is for driving as I am in and out of my car on a regular basis and thought this would be safer to have constant information rather than having to remember to finger prick every time when I drive (although I note DVLA say you must still carry a finger testing kit!!).

Be careful, I’m not sure that the DVLA will accept Dexcom readings, if you are unlucky and have an accident I think you have to be able to prove that you tested with a finger prick at the appropriate times. Make sure you check the rules.

Be careful, I’m not sure that the DVLA will accept Dexcom readings, if you are unlucky and have an accident I think you have to be able to prove that you tested with a finger prick at the appropriate times. Make sure you check the rules.
I thought the DVLA has updated its rules and now accept CGM readings.
I know in the early days of Libre, we also had to finger prick but I am pretty sure this is no longer the case.

As @Jenks21 mentioned, we still have to carry a finger pricking meter. I guess that is as a back up in case the CGM fails.

I recently applied to the DVLA to have the C2 category reinstated on my driving license because I wanted to drive a motor home. I had to get my GP to fill in the appropriate forms (£80 fee). The application was refused because I couldn’t provide evidence of finger prick records. So I appealed the decision and sent them copies of my Dexcom clarity reports which show very good control over a long period. Still refused! In my opinion the DVLA are way behind the drag curve so I would make sure you are finger pricking before driving as I’m fairly sure the Dexcom won’t stand up in court.

Correction to my earlier post, the G6 is £159 per month, not £190.

Has anyone had any success trying to get the G6 funded by the NHS?

I recently applied to the DVLA to have the C2 category reinstated on my driving license because I wanted to drive a motor home. I had to get my GP to fill in the appropriate forms (£80 fee). The application was refused because I couldn’t provide evidence of finger prick records. So I appealed the decision and sent them copies of my Dexcom clarity reports which show very good control over a long period. Still refused! In my opinion the DVLA are way behind the drag curve so I would make sure you are finger pricking before driving as I’m fairly sure the Dexcom won’t stand up in court.

Correction to my earlier post, the G6 is £159 per month, not £190.

Has anyone had any success trying to get the G6 funded by the NHS?
Have a look at the rules for CGM use for DVLA. It does explain what is allowed and what isn't. I seem to remember HGV licence holders have to have finger pokes obviously you can still use your CGM but have to use finger pokes and not sure but think it's 2 pokes a day even if not driving.
Car drivers have to carry test strips but can use CGM instead of stopping every couple of hours. In all cases you must have full hypo awareness to hold a licence.

I thought the DVLA has updated its rules and now accept CGM readings.
I know in the early days of Libre, we also had to finger prick but I am pretty sure this is no longer the case.

As @Jenks21 mentioned, we still have to carry a finger pricking meter. I guess that is as a back up in case the CGM fails.
From DVLA Guidance inF294 "Group 1 drivers may now use finger prick glucose testing and continuous glucose monitoring systems (FGM and RT-CGM) for the purposes of driving." As there are times when FGM and RT-CGM users are required to check their finger prick glucose, users of these systems must also have finger prick glucose monitors and test strips available when driving."

I have the G6, a Tandem TSlim, and an Apple phone. The only time I don't have access to my Blood Glucose is during the G6 sensor warmup - 2 hours every 10 days. This applies to the pump interface. The phone was more problematic for a 2-3 month spell at the end of 2021 when the App would randomly lose connectivity. This has improved recently and I suspect the issue was caused by a recent Dexcom Infrastructure / Software upgrade which means you can no longer use the SugarMate App as an interface to smart watches. This month have had no issues at all.

From DVLA Guidance inF294 "Group 1 drivers may now use finger prick glucose testing and continuous glucose monitoring systems (FGM and RT-CGM) for the purposes of driving." As there are times when FGM and RT-CGM users are required to check their finger prick glucose, users of these systems must also have finger prick glucose monitors and test strips available when driving."
Here's all the bumph https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/diabetes-and-your-driving-licence.95542/#post-1100348

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back