Desperate mum of type1!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumof1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My 10 year old son has today lost his bag of all his meds bg monitor etc...
I have spares of everything but his accu chek expert monitor and now they have discontinued it..
He uses it when at school and when he goes to friends or grandparents without me so his carbs can be worked out..
I'm completely stressing as they are now discontinued and he doesn't have his own phone...
I know its a long shot does anyone have one I can have??
Many many thanks in advance

Look on ebay as likely find one on there, just give it good clean with alcohol wipes when it arrives.

I believe there is a Facebook Group for people to share swap/exchange diabetic kit. From what I have read, the Accu chek expert was quite a popular and prized meter, so you might struggle but fingers crossed there maybe someone who has a spare. @Kaylz could probably direct you to the FB website.... as I don't do FB. Good luck. Is there no chance of the lost kit being recovered?

There are other meters that also do the bolus calculations available.
It may be worth contacting your Diabetes team as they may have an alternative available,
(and it won’t be the first time a child has lost their D kit)

Oh no!! What a nightmare for you :(

Can you remember the settings you had in it? Were they very complicated?

A pocket calculator might help to embed the process of working out the doses if you think he could work with that.

Look on ebay as likely find one on there, just give it good clean with alcohol wipes when it arrives.
Pffft, the results are very few on eBay and the lowest priced one is £180.92, utterly ridiculous IMO xx

The Libre reader does insulin calculations. Do you have one of those @Mumof1? You need to get into the professional settings and the code for that is CAA1C. Of course you would need Freestyle strips, but they are available on prescription.

Hi guys thanks for reaching out. My clever hubby managed to fix and old one that I had in a draw and I managed to buy a second hand one on ebay.
So sad that noone handed in a bag full of medicines...
I didn't realise the libre meter did this so am going to have a look as that would be great.
Thanks again for taking the time to help xx

Pffft, the results are very few on eBay and the lowest priced one is £180.92, utterly ridiculous IMO xx

Never know unless you look, picked up brand new Multiclix lancer from ebay years after it was discontinued, payed around £4 so there is bargains to be had.

My 10 year old son has today lost his bag of all his meds bg monitor etc...
I have spares of everything but his accu chek expert monitor and now they have discontinued it..
He uses it when at school and when he goes to friends or grandparents without me so his carbs can be worked out..
I'm completely stressing as they are now discontinued and he doesn't have his own phone...
I know its a long shot does anyone have one I can have??
Many many thanks in advance
I have one i no longer use but it is dying and unreliable and so I have switched away from it. I expect it would be cheaper to buy him a cheap phone to download an app onto than to buy a used accu chek expert meter as they are extremely expensive.

Also, do you have your phone number on his medicine bag? I bought some tiny plastic dog tags and had them engraved with my number. I then attached them to the zip of my d kit, musical instruments, bags, keys etc. My kit has so far always made it back to me quickly when lost.

Glad you’ve sorted it. I’ve got one, but it’s my back up meter if my pump handset goes kaput so I need it, otherwise I’d have let you it.

Also, do you have your phone number on his medicine bag? I bought some tiny plastic dog tags and had them engraved with my number. I then attached them to the zip of my d kit, musical instruments, bags, keys etc. My kit has so far always made it back to me quickly when lost.
No it only had his name in it...he has only just started walking to school on his own but I'm definitely doing this now!

No it only had his name in it...he has only just started walking to school on his own but I'm definitely doing this now!
Think I just got little blue acrylic ones, smallest size they did, (and round not bones or anything)! They’ve stayed attached and easily readable for years. Must get some more actually.

Is there no chance somebody would have handed it into the school or one of his friends has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back