Desmond? X-pert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayC

Hi
DAFNE is talked about on this forum from time to time. I believe this is for T1.... Has anyone tried DESMOND or X-PERT (for T2, I think)? If so, did the course work for you?? Is it worth pushing my GP to get referral for?

Kay🙂

I have done the XPert course, it was ver interesting and gave me loads of useful information. There are a couple of DESMOND corses, the basic one for newly diagnosed and an intermediate one for those of us diagnised a while.

Xpert lasts (depending where you go) 5 or 6 half day sessions. DESMOND is usuall one whole day or a couple of half days. Both courses have their good points. For me it was the realisation that I am not completely alone!

Hi

I have been told about a local course called Juggle - anyone been on this at all and is T2 d/e only?

I did the X-PERT course the beginning of the year and for a reasonably young diabetic like myself i foound it really useful and i still refer to the handouts i was given, id certainly reccommend it x

Hi

I have been told about a local course called Juggle - anyone been on this at all and is T2 d/e only?

Sorry Lucy i've never heard of this course, im sure someone will of and can tell you more about it.

X-PERT, DESMOND and DAFNE are all national schemes (DAFNE actually started in Germany, I think, and has passed to other countries). In addition, some local PCTs, hospitals, clinics etc run their own courses for various type of people - type 2 / type 1 / parents of type 1 children / newly diagnosed / established etc - then they have fun thinking up acronyms. I'd love to know what Juggle stands for - usually there's a D (for diabetes) in the word, but perhaps it's a reflection on life with diabetes, a bit like Diabetes UK's magazine "Balance"?

Hi
DAFNE is talked about on this forum from time to time. I believe this is for T1.... Has anyone tried DESMOND or X-PERT (for T2, I think)? If so, did the course work for you?? Is it worth pushing my GP to get referral for?

Kay🙂

I attended the X-Pert course shortly after being diagnosed last year. I found it an extremely useful starting point and it informed many of the decisions I take now.

I don't know anything about any of the other courses mentioned in this thread though.

Andy 🙂

You may not have a choice. It depends which ones that are offered in your area (if any of them are). And I would not rely on your GP/DSN being aware of them if they are.

The Xpert one is not run by the health care area I live in. Although the place was easy for me to get to I had to self refer because my GP had never heard of the course. I'm glad I pushed to do it.

My GP at that time had never heard of it and it was my DSN that mentioned it to me and within 2 weeks i was put on the course.

thanks Kayc thats interesting it does say its for type 2s who are not on insulin, so i guess it would be fine for someone on d/e or metformin for example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back