Depression/Diabetes Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As some of you know I had a rather serious RTA last year, I have noticed since then, I have become more inclined to low moods and mood swings.
I had thought that the accident was the cause, as my head injuries were the biggest problem. However, I have come to notice a recurrent theme in as much that depression and Diabetes seem to go hand in hand.
My own Diabetes was dx'ed about 6 months before the accident and I was still I think, getting my head around it, when I was landed the (at the time) bigger problem of a brain haemorrhage amongst other injuries.
I have become more sensitive to mood and tone when talking to other people (my OH says) and am very easily upset compared to my former demeanor, it was bad enough immediately after the accident that I could be reduced to tears quite easily, by often the silliest things. (A common aftermath of serious head injury I have been informed).
I have now been cleared by my care team (almost a year on) but still struggle with my mood although it is not as bad as it was. My wife says that I now tend to run away from problems/confrontation (in a huff) 😱 but I still cannot conjure up the quick rejoiner as I used to do, so need time to think, unfortunately this means that very often the moment has passed which only increases my level of frustration, and leads to a slower resolution of any issues.
My question/point of wonder is this, now that I have been signed off with only a further examination at a 6 to 12 month interval to determine my progress to look forward to, has my personality change been about the haemorrhage or the diabetes?
I begin to suspect that the diabetes may have more to do with it than I had at first anticipated or appreciated.
The classic "mind ****" (naughty word, censored!), but I would like opinions as it helps me think, (my problem solving capabilities are not what they were, I now find I need additional points of view to help me form a bigger, better picture).
Now you may think that he writes a mean sentence or two for someone who purports to be diminished in personality, but, what you don't realise is the time and amount of thought and revision that goes into it now-a-days. (One of the good things about forums is the option to read and edit whatever is printed) what I once would have been able to just rattle off, now takes a fair bit of time and thought.
Thanks for your patience and any imput.

Hi Jimbo anybody in my opinion would be lying if they said diabetes has not changed them in some way shape or form it is bound to we now have this condition in our lives 24/7 our moods and deminias change,like you i now wheras before diagnosis am very sensitive to things being said to me and something that is supposed to be said in a joke usually upsets me so now my OH has stopped being funny with me because he says i am far to highly strung lol.Im sure they must have been studies done somewhere in the world where depression has been linked with diabetes and i know from being a member of this forum many including me suffer depression some before being diagnosed some after.I am far from a strong willed person and often run away from problems until they get so bad i cant cope then that brings on my depression so it is a viscious circle,have you ever had any councelling or anything for the trauma you sufferedor would you ever think of asking for help from a professional often people think it is weak to seek help from outside, but often find it was the best thing they ever did.

Hi Jimbo, I don't think it's just diabetes, but any chronic condition brings with it the potential for depressive episodes. Coupled with the fact that, however good your control is, your blood sugar levels are going to be swinging much more than a non-diabetic person's would, is that there is no holiday from it, no escape. This can sometimes generate depressive feelings in itself, or it may present an extra burden when you are trying to deal with other traumatic or mood-affecting circumstances, such as unemployment, bereavement, poor self-esteem etc.

We have to be careful not to 'blame' the diabetes for everything, but also recognise when it is the likely cause of our low moods.

I was signed off by the psychologist after my "anxiety levels" came down to what she determined were an acceptable level. My scores were apparently just short of clinical depression initially, I was classed as being very anxious or very easily upset. Once my scores had come down she said she was pleased with my progress and coping systems.
The main problem with providing counselling was the fact that I have absolutely no memory of the accident, the day before it and approx 10 days after (again, a common side effect of the head injury) so therefore could not talk about it, which I understand is a big part of learning to cope with it.
I have always been a meet problems head on, get them sorted type of person, so, asked about help. I was prescribed the modern equivelant of Prozac, Flu...something I think, but they had side effects and were addictive so being me I wouldn't take them. I muddled through I suppose, but thats about all the help as such I've had.

I was signed off by the psychologist after my "anxiety levels" came down to what she determined were an acceptable level. My scores were apparently just short of clinical depression initially, I was classed as being very anxious or very easily upset. Once my scores had come down she said she was pleased with my progress and coping systems.
The main problem with providing counselling was the fact that I have absolutely no memory of the accident, the day before it and approx 10 days after (again, a common side effect of the head injury) so therefore could not talk about it, which I understand is a big part of learning to cope with it.
I have always been a meet problems head on, get them sorted type of person, so, asked about help. I was prescribed the modern equivelant of Prozac, Flu...something I think, but they had side effects and were addictive so being me I wouldn't take them. I muddled through I suppose, but thats about all the help as such I've had.

yeah hiya prozac is known as fluoxetine thats the problem with them the addictive side to them and they can do more harm then good, i remember once an episode my mum went through when she tryed to take to many in one go and she has to be taken to hospital it was not nice and was a reason why when i was offered prozac it took me a while to decide.Do you have a good relationship with your GP ? how do you feel now about opening up?

I think you have hit the nail on the head Northie, "there is no holiday from it, no escape", and that pair of facts are more than a little demoralising.
I don't blame it for everything because I am still able to take control, (when I chose to). I can forget about it when I am busy, as I have organised my meals to be approx every 4-4 and a half hours so that my sugar levels stay within optimum levels as much as possible. It's when I'm not busy that the problems and thoughts occur.

Jim, thanks for sharing your story. I am pleased to know you are officially 'better'.

I was diagnosed T2 around 10 years ago, then 18 months ago I was put onto insulin along with tablets. This wasn't long after my Mam died and I was made redundant.

So, I have been on 'happy' pills for 3 -4 years - but pver the last 10 weeks I have been dropping the dosage to try and ween myself off them, as I feel I take enough meds with the diabetic stuff.

So, does diabetes cause depession? I think it has a bearing, but if you had a predisposition to depression, then yes. It is a huge subject.

Jim, could you manage to come along to the B'ham meet in 4 weeks? You might find it useful to talk to other diabetics

Keep well

Hi, you have been through quite a bit. Anyone in your position would feel rough. One of my friends was involved in a serious accident several years ago in which two children (one of them her own) were killed. Although the accident wasn't her fault, she feel responsible for the loss of the children and has terrible bouts of depression, which she is getting help and counseling for.

While we are more prone to depression than non diabetics, I don't think it is just diabetes that causes the depression. It seems to go with many long term medical conditions. I think it is something to do with having a condition we sometimes feel no one else understands unless they have it too. I hope that makes sense.

I find comming here helps, although I know many people need professional help too.

Jim, thanks for sharing your story. I am pleased to know you are officially 'better'.

I was diagnosed T2 around 10 years ago, then 18 months ago I was put onto insulin along with tablets. This wasn't long after my Mam died and I was made redundant.

So, I have been on 'happy' pills for 3 -4 years - but pver the last 10 weeks I have been dropping the dosage to try and ween myself off them, as I feel I take enough meds with the diabetic stuff.

So, does diabetes cause depession? I think it has a bearing, but if you had a predisposition to depression, then yes. It is a huge subject.

Jim, could you manage to come along to the B'ham meet in 4 weeks? You might find it useful to talk to other diabetics

Keep well

Thanks for the invite Hazel, sadly I will be unable to make the Birmingham meet. The finances just can't stand for it I'm afraid and I don't want to take anymore time off work, I simply can't afford it.
I will continue to peruse the forum and ask questions and find out what I need to, that way. Thanks!

Hi Jimbo,

Glad you are okay, I don't know much but my gut feeling would be most of the depression would be from the head trauma of the RTA, my uncle had a near death last year and had several head injurys, he is "okay" now but definaetly a changed person. I would say it is goood that you can see this change and I hope you can control it as far as you need/want to.

Take care

Rossi.

PS I've had a few dark days of late when does being moody become depression??

Hi Jimbo. What a fascinating thread. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Could it be a form of post traumatic stress disorder or have the white coats eliminated that one ?

Maybe for the RTA and the diabetes. It has different meanings to all of us. I've resented mine for decades.

Not sure about there being a link between depression and diabetes though, but as Northerner says, it's a big cloud to sit under if we are prone to it.

Rob

Mood and head injury

Head injuries are well known to alter a persons mood, see above link.. I have come across this when I was nursing.. You may have been in the throws of depression before the accident, I have been diabetic for 11 yrs on Thursday and it is depressing, although I have suffered from depression for a while having diabetes hasn't helped, and I have my good and bad days.

Head injury and depression

Hi Jimbo. What a fascinating thread. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Could it be a form of post traumatic stress disorder or have the white coats eliminated that one ?

Maybe for the RTA and the diabetes. It has different meanings to all of us. I've resented mine for decades.

Not sure about there being a link between depression and diabetes though, but as Northerner says, it's a big cloud to sit under if we are prone to it.

Rob

To be honest they didn't even mention PTSD, mind, to be fair, I never thought to ask about it either.
The Psychologist was emphatic in her statement that I did NOT have depression, I tested as having high anxiety levels initially, but not depression.
So all my treatment after diagnosis was centred around "coping strategies" to help me get through daily life, deal with any issues and improve my general health. (Walking, talking and memory issues)
I am not generally prone to being miserable/depressed, although this and the attending posts have made me realise that I have become introverted and more reserved than I was before. There are moments of the old me from time to time, but, like Rossi_mac's uncle, there is a definite change in my personality (and out look in life).
I am not as fluent, a bit slower and as I previously mentioned can't just rattle through life at a hundred miles an hour anymore. If you could see the spelling mistakes that I have edited /corrected, as I proof read, you'd know what I mean. (Ah! the beauty of e-mail... proof reading... 😛 lol). So I have adjusted to living at about 90% of previous capability, which on the face of it isn't too bad when I consider how bad it could have been. Dead, vegitive state, unable to walk or talk, unable to use my right hand, anyway enough of the depressing stuff 😱 :D I actually said it! But seriously in a lot of ways I have been very lucky, I just miss the old chap that used to inhabit my head.

Mood and head injury

Head injuries are well known to alter a persons mood, see above link.. I have come across this when I was nursing.. You may have been in the throws of depression before the accident, I have been diabetic for 11 yrs on Thursday and it is depressing, although I have suffered from depression for a while having diabetes hasn't helped, and I have my good and bad days.

Head injury and depression

Hi Squidge, I read both of the links and can relate to them on various levels. I won't bore you with details but the old expression "been there, done that, got the T-shirt..... well, you get my drift.
My own personal Time Out is going for a walk and not speaking about the issue until I have calmed down and have the capability of, and for, rational thought again.
Both articles provide very good information for the family (and sufferer) of a serious head injury.
Personally, I wouldn't wish it on anyone, not even my worse enemy.
I thank God that I was blessed with a very tolerant partner and bright understanding children, I don't think anyone realises or appreciates how difficult it (my injury) has been for them. In fact according to several magazine articles I am very lucky to still be married. The rate of break ups for couples where one person has this type of injury is very high, due to the fit partner being unable to cope with the personality changes.
Anyway thanks everyone for your input, it has helped more than I thought it could to get these thoughts down, and out in the open so to speak.

You're a very brave and understanding (self and others) man Jimbo.

All power to you and yours. And it isn't just you that has to retype half the message before posting ! 😱

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back