Depressing stuff re life expectancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the way I look at it, many of those people will have had it when far less was known about it, and treatments may not have been as good. Plus, if people don't adhere to their treatments - which we know many don't - you're bound to be worse off if you've got such a potentially serious condition than those who don't. In some ways, I actually think getting a diagnosis has improved my chances of a longer life because I'm much more careful and knowledgeable about my general health. I can see how difficult it must be for a parent to read though :(

That's true, these stats are from a previous generation of T1s. I suppose we just have to keep on doing our best....

I try not to read things like that precisely because it is so depressing, and it's only statistics anyway, which can be twisted to show pretty much anything you want. My mum is still here at age 70 having been T1 for 47 years, she has some retinopathy but no other complications. She lived through 20 years or so of not being able to test her own blood sugar (I don't know how anyone can get good control under those conditions!) and to my mind is fairly lax about things now. Whereas my daughter has been on a pump almost from the word go, my mum thinks I'm far too fussy about trying to achieve perfect control but I can't help it, I have to do my best for my daughter! And whilst there might not be a cure in 10 years, maybe in 30? Who knows - but I reckon our children's chances are much better than those of our parents' generation.

So if my mum is still doing ok at 70 with HbA1c higher than my daughter's then I reckon my daughter's chances should be pretty good as long as I can teach her to take care of herself. And of course any of us could drop dead tomorrow - of brain haemorrhages, heart attacks, accidents etc - but if you worried about all of those things that might never happen you wouldn't enjoy life at all - so better not to worry about it! Just do your best to look after your own health (and your children's of course) and that's all you can do 🙂

Statistics!

We are all individuals (Oh gosh, just reminded myself of The Life Of Brian!) and these stats apply to the group. It doesn't mean that YOU will die any sooner. Buck the trend, is my motto (ish).

If you get depressed about it, then THAT is more likely to kill you than the diabetes.

Andy 🙂

p.s. But on the other hand I don't mean to downplay the seriousness of diabetes nor depression.

Last edited:
Well bearing in mind I've never lived in Scotland so my own life expectancy because of diabetes ahs always been expressed as '10 years less' - and if Scottish ladies have seen a 25% improvement (17 years less down to 13 years less) - my life expectancy must now be only shortened by 7.5 years, isn't it? LOL

See - that's the difference between Lies, Damn lies and Statistics, Redkite !

I'm Brian and so is my Wife 🙂

In that case - I am Spartacus !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back