Department of Health issues letter on the safe care of people with type 1 diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The Department of Health has today issued a letter reminding health care professionals of the importance of prescribing adequate amounts of finger prick testing strips to people with type 1 diabetes.

The letter, which is being sent to doctors and hospitals across the country, reminds health professionals of the difference between type 1 and 2 diabetes and of the importance of self-blood glucose measurement (SBGM) stating ?SBGM is essential for safety checks when feeling unwell, or in situations when the blood glucose might fall too low or too high.?

This letter is a result of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Diabetes, which JDRF provides the joint-secretariat to, where we highlighted the fact that people with type 1 were being refused or were receiving limited access to blood glucose testing strips.

http://www.jdrf.org.uk/campaigns/public-affairs-news-blog

Hoping this doesn't make it even harder for Type 2s not on insulin to get strips to learn about their diabetes and diet, and where it might be improved.

I'm not really sure how helpful this will be. Some clinicians still think that 2 tests a day is sufficient for an insulin user's clinical needs, and may use the excuse that the patient does not or is not allowed to drive, as an excuse for with holding further strips.
I think the DOH needs to "grow a pair" and be a bit more specific about quantities such as pre meal and bed tests, plus night time if nocturnal hypos are suspected or waking levels ar tout of range, plus extra's if feeling unwell, aiming for really tight control ( postprandial levels), pregnancy, related to exercise etc

As Northey points out, I think the GPs will use it as an excuse to deny strips for us T2s that are trying to gain/maintain control without insulin. They just don't get it, do they? More strips = more knowledge = better control = fewer complications = lower NHS bills.

I'm really annoyed at the very last sentence, apart from being really annoyed in the first place that they've only done this for T1.

Short term thinking again, save a few quid now, and spend a lot more later.
I was at Nottinghamtype 1 meeting last Tuesday and they were on about some members being told 3 a day😱 There was a gentelman there who had a meeting with the health secutary and spoke to her about this, she ended up sending letters out to so bigwig GP who took it personaly and denied that this was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back