Dentists aim for drill-free future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A new idea to encourage teeth to repair themselves may see the end of the fear-inducing sound of the dentist's drill, researchers say.

Researchers at King's College London believe electricity can be used to strengthen a tooth by forcing minerals into the layer of enamel.

They hope it will get rid of the need for drills, injections and fillings.

A company has been set up to bring the technique to the dentist's chair in the next three years.

Minerals such as calcium and phosphate naturally flow in and out of the tooth. Acid produced by bacteria munching on food in the mouth help leach minerals out.

The group at King's apply a mineral cocktail and then use a small electric current to drive the minerals deep into the tooth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27866399

Good idea and i hope they do. I would go to the dentist then. I can't go otherwise, they cripple me with fear.

I read that this morning on MSN. I think it's brill!

Mrs Mad - sorry - but if you have dental probs esp if it's gum probs - they make diabetes worse and vice-versa. It's no good tackling half a job, you need to do BOTH.

Good idea and i hope they do. I would go to the dentist then. I can't go otherwise, they cripple me with fear.

I used to feel that way about dentists, but when I came to Southampton I asked a work colleague if she knew of a good one. She did, and I have been going there for nearly 15 years now. The dentist is absolutely the best I have ever come across. He's so good that I have even had small fillings with no anaesthetic and he even found a solution to the injection in the gums which I always hated. In fact, I was there this morning! He always explains everything he is doing - or not doing, as he never does any unnecessary work. Although not NHS, the charges are in line with NHS - the practice just dod not want to be tied to NHS rules which may often mean the patient not getting the best treatment.

If you want details, let me know 🙂

Oh yes please Northerner, i really need to go to one but the fear of past mistakes just makes me not go.

trophywench i will definitely be going soon, i can't put it off forever. Not now anyway.

Oh yes please Northerner, i really need to go to one but the fear of past mistakes just makes me not go.

trophywench i will definitely be going soon, i can't put it off forever. Not now anyway.

I'll bring the details along on Saturday 🙂

Good!

Now I have to say tra la la cos 'Good! isn't long enough .......

Oh silly woman. I never thought of that! - Ta.

Well having spent 45 mins in the dentist chair last week...this will be 3 years too late!! I agree with Northerner though..once you find a dentist you like and trust its half the battle. I have a lovely lady who also doesn't do any unnecessary work and talks me through every thing shes doing.Even the dental nurse was patting my arm..bless her.
Mrs Mad...bite the bullet and go...it probably wont be as bad as you think
My teeth since the visit >>> :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back