Dentist

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just back from follow up, this tiime he injected top right jaw and did what he calls a deep clean.
(Apologies I did post a thread a couple of weeks ago about being told I had early gum disease which I'm told can be (another) side effect of diabetes)
My upper face is numb right to the upper eyelid! His parting comment was "you will be in pain in 2-3 hours, have some painkillers ready, see you next week" - nice to look forward to!
Don't know if anybody else has suffered this, but I clean/floss regularly - it obviously hasn't helped.
Just a minor rant sorry

I have this to look forward to 😱

Last weekend half my face swelled up like a massive ugly balloon - I looked like the elephant man, it was awful - and was really painful, as were 3 teeth nearest where the swelling started. On Sunday morning it was at it's worst, so I had to pay a visit to the emergency dentist, who said I had a massive infection, and also informed me that I had gum disease! (I'm a bit cross my regular dentist hadn't mentioned this, as I've been backwards and forwards a lot in the last few weeks, with toothache, multiple extractions and having a denture made).

So, following a course of antibiotics and gum disease tablets, I'm sposed to make an appointment for a deep clean and descale. YUK!! and OUCH!! :( :(

xx

Hi H, thanks for your thoughts.
The descale was as always (which I hate, together with dentists in general!). It's looking forward to about now, but fortunately no real pain yet, just jaw ache.
Managed to eat a bacon roll, which was soft enough to gently chew. I noticed again though that on testing just before I ate my levels were really a lot lowerr than normal. Anybody know if this could be the effect of local anaesthetic stuff as it wore off?
I think I've read this can happen, perhaps on a previous post here.
Thanks and good luck with your visit. Let us know how you get on x

Glad to hear you're not suffering too much after your ordeal - and ordeal is the right word, I believe! I have a bit of a phobia about dentists, and to make it worse, a very low pain threshold!! I really can't stand when they do that cleaning thing, that zizzes in between your teeth. URRGH, just gone to jelly just thinking about it!! I'm being very naughty and putting it off, but I really ought to get it out of the way, and be done with it........................ :(

xx

Hi H
Please don't put it off, the thought of having to have extractions and a false plate scares me more than the dentist.
Grit your teeth and go for it!!!..lol

Are we as diabetics more prone to gum disease then? that's a bit worrying as i have been quite lucky with my teeth in the past apart from a wisdom tooth problem many years ago. I've recently had my regular check-up and scale and polish and everything was OK. Is gum disease inevitable then if you are diabetic? :(

Are we as diabetics more prone to gum disease then? that's a bit worrying as i have been quite lucky with my teeth in the past apart from a wisdom tooth problem many years ago. I've recently had my regular check-up and scale and polish and everything was OK. Is gum disease inevitable then if you are diabetic? :(

In my situation, I had all sorts of trouble with my teeth - fillings and an extraction - in the two years leading up to my diagnosis. In the two years after, I have had no problems at all - saw my dentist last week and he commented on how well I look after my teeth! So I don't think it's inevitable, but poor control may be a risk factor (I was probably undiagnosed Type 1.5 during those 2 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back